Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Frontier(CVA) Beartooth >

New Frontier(CVA) Beartooth

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Frontier(CVA) Beartooth

Old 11-17-2005, 09:23 AM

Default New Frontier(CVA) Beartooth

Hello all,

I just purchased my son a new Beartooth 50 cal inline for Christmas. I am familiar with the traditional flintlock. I have a T/C Renegade. Does anyone know anything about this. It looks very user friendly. My son is 16 ,and next year he will be able to use this in Pa's early season. I heard of problems with this barrel. Not sure how true,though. Any input would be appreciated with this gun.Also, what load and bullet type. Again, I use round ball in mine.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Frontier(CVA) Beartooth

Since you have already purchased it the issue with the Spanish barrel is rather mute. There are concerns over the manner in which the barrel is tested for pressure strength. There are countless threads on it if you wish to search that topic. It boils down to the pressure they claim the barrel is tested at is exceeded by many of the loads prescribed in the manual. The question of course is, was that just a minimal test and if so, what is the maximum pressure the barrel will stand before blowing. The company does not want to answer that question.

I had the opportunity a few weeks back to help a person sight in their new Beartooth Magnum. It shot the 245 grain Aero Tip Powerbelts very well with 80-85 grains of Triple Se7en powder. It also did a real good job with the T/C Cheapshots in 240 grain. Again with 80 grains of Triple Se7en powder. In fact the young man took a doe with the rifle during our early doe season and dropped her in her tracks I was told.

Please make sure you and your son read the manual close. And follow the manufacturers recommendations on loads. I personally would never put more then 100 grains of powder in that rifle and 85 grains of Triple Se7en. Other will disagree, and that's fine. As I said, its my personal opinion.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:26 PM

Thanks , that is great information. I certainly will not exceed the powder limit, even though it states 150 grain pyrodex!
Old 11-17-2005, 05:33 PM

I SHOOT THE NEW FRONTIER IN 45CAL. THIS IS THE
SECOND YEAR I'VE USED IT. I THINK IT IS GREAT GUN.
I'VE TAKEN 3 DOES AND 1 BUCK WITH MINE. I SHOOT
THE 225GR. AERO-TIP POWERBELT WITH 50GR. OF 777
AND THE NEW REM. KLEENBORE PRIMERS. IT DOES A FINE
JOB BUT TENDS NOT TO LEAVE A GOOD BLOOD TRAIL.
SO I AM DOING SOME TESTING WITH THE POWERBELT
HOLLOW POINT. I THINK YOUR SON WILL REALLY LIKE
THE ML. EASY TO LOAD EASY TO CLEAN EASY TO
SHOOT. GOOD LUCK GOD BLESS.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:44 PM

the beartooth is a great little gun and it shoots very well. i use a385 grain great plains lubed bullet with 90 grains of goex. i would worry more about walking across a road that worrying aboutthebarrel failing.