Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 CVA Hunterbolt scope >

CVA Hunterbolt scope

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Hunterbolt scope

Old 11-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default CVA Hunterbolt scope

I was just wondering if any of you think it would be a good idea to put a scope on my CVA Hunterbolt. If so should it have see through mounts. And what kind of scope would you recommend.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: CVA Hunterbolt scope

Personally.. I do not like the see through mounts. It brings the scope too high off the rifle, and the mounts are not as solid as those set closer to the rifle barrel. I like a scope as low as possible. If you get a good low power scope setting, you can so some fast close range shooting with that. A higher power will fill in nice for longer range. I like a 2x7 or 3x9 but I do have a 1.5x4.5 on one rifle. Great for hunting, but not for range work...

As for what scope, well that depends on how much you want to spend and what you are looking for in a scope. Bushnell Banner is a good scope and very inexpensive, but they are not a Leupold. It is all a matter of pocket book depth.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Spike

Cayuqad is right about that. Pocket book depth definitely determines what you buy. Also keep in mind that the mounting hardware will add a few bucks to thecost too.

I used SWAFhttp://www.riflescopes.com/to purchase a Burris Fullfield-2 3x9x40 for my ML. Fitted it with Leupold QR base and QR high rings. This is an excellent quality scope for a reasonable price. Best price I could find plus Burris hasadded a real nice pair of hunters binoculars if you order the Ballistic Plex model for a limited time. SWAF hasmany others scopes to choose from and they are very fast with their shipping.

http://www.riflescopes.com/products/200162BIN/burris_3-9x40_fullfield_ii_rifle_scope.htm
Old 11-17-2005, 08:27 PM

I do recommend using Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40. Search in Ebay, I just got it for 121 bucks shipped. Got it in only 2 days after I ordered. It is at reasonable price and quality is pretty good. I could still see the target well after dark. And like others recommended, use medium detachable rings from Leupold. Be carefulwhen buying thering base.I could not find theLeopold ring base atWalmart but luckily, I gotWeaver 418Mat some local sporting goods store. The ring bases sold at Wal-mart (Leopold for Remington and Winchester rifles) do not fit.Weaver 418M is the one for CVAs.
Good luck and let me tell you, Hunterbolt is the good choice. After zeroing in, I got 1/2 inch group at 100 yards using 2 Triple Se7ven and Powerbelt HP.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Spike

I have the same gun, mine is called a hunterbolt musket mag I think.. I have a 3-9x and use it during the whole regular gun season.. I have had my best luck with it.... I don't have a see through scope , I think if you use a ML you make a commitment to shoot relaxed deer anyway so one wouldn't need a see through....
I love that gun...
I shoot triple 7 and Hornady SST/ML bullets... Very accurate..