Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long? >

Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

Thanks for the additional info!!! Too, I agree safety is of ut-most concern to me!!!

Skeeter--I'll certainly take those pre-cautions when hunting in wet weather. I hadn't even considered the ill effects of keeping the barrel covered. Thanks!!

Well I'll be sighting & shooting it this morning, hope all goes well. Thanks!!---------------------------ElkNut1
Old 11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Leaving Your Muzzy Loaded!!! How Long?

ORIGINAL: elknut1

Thanks! So how long can I leave it with a charge in it?? 3-5 days, or longer if it's in a cleaned barrel?

Too, it was mentioned never to bring the ML into the house at night if I was planning on using it within the next couple of days, of course this is if I'd been hunting that day. They said to leave it outside in the vehicle.

Are these things that tempremental?
ElkNut1
I have left mine loaded with powder and bullet for a week (7 days) of hunting. I removed the cap every evening, and left the rifle in an unheated wood shed building at night. At the end of the week, I fired it and it shot as it should. The powder was Clean Shot, and if moisture ever attacks ML powders, this is the worst one! The muzzle and lock section were kept wtrapped with plastic wrap all the time after loading, except fpor the minute or so it took to insert and later remove the cap. This was with a sidelock rifle (Hawken).