Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 leaving the gun loaded. >

leaving the gun loaded.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

leaving the gun loaded.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default leaving the gun loaded.

OK first i do not intend to hope out and shoot off the road.
I though when i get my triumph i would leave it loaded in the case or on a rack in my window when i go to and from the woods. i drive through alot of public property that has deer in fields near the road. i figure if i see one i could stop up the road up out stalk into the woods alittle and come around and shoot the deer. I would not shoot from the road or near the road ever.

Is it OK to leave the Tc triumph or any muzzle loader loaded when driving to your spot is the a fire issue if you hit a hard bump. what if i leave the primer off
Old 07-30-2008, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: leaving the gun loaded.

Check what your local laws are first. Where I live, it's legal to have your ML in your car loaded as long as you remove the primer. Without the primer in, it's generally considered safe to leave an ML loaded.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM

Here in Indiana as long as it is not primed it is ok to leave it loaded !!!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most states require the removel of the primer, I made a rubber plug I put in place of the primer to seal out any moisture. Lee
Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I load mine for the first hunt and it stays loaded until I take a shot. Of course, at the end of the hunt I remove the primer/cap until I begin another hunt. Last season I loaded my Mustang for the first morning hunt. Took out the cap and put it in the camp around noon, and loaded the Zouave for the evening hunt. Took off the musket cap at the end of the hunt and used the Mustang the next day. At one point, I had the Mustang, the Zouave, and the New Englander loaded and sitting in the camp while I was hunting with my .41 mag Blackhawk.Variety is the spice of life.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

how long could i leave a triumph loaded with pellets before a misfire issue would a issue
Old 07-31-2008, 09:27 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Is it OK to leave the Tc triumph or any muzzle loader loaded when driving to your spot is the a fire issue if you hit a hard bump. what if i leave the primer off
Please do attend a Hunter Education Class before proceeding any further with ANYTHING hunting or firearms related...

Do it for us, if for no other reason.....................
Old 07-31-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't put your primer in until you are hunting. Driving in a car leave the primer out. Pulling your gun into a treestand leave your primer out until you get settled in and start your hunt.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

how long could i leave a triumph loaded with pellets before a misfire issue would a issue
Last season I left the Mustang loaded for about three months with a charge of looseTriple 7 in the bore (clean barrel load - not fouled)andnothing sealingthe flash hole. When I put a primer in it at the end of the season it fired just fine and hit where it should have. I don't know if pellets would have a different shelf life in the bore. I've never used them.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Pull the primer as previously stated. That being said, I also leave the gun loaded.

I have experienced a misfire in my MZ. It was late season in Michigan and about15 degrees out. After the evening hunt I brought the gun inside and left it near the door for the next morning hunt. I did not see any deer that morning, but wanted to fire the gun. It misfired. I believe this was because of the condensation the forms when bringing a cold barrel into a warm environment. I wiped off the outside of the gun when the condensation appeared, but did not think about the inside of the gun and how this might affect the powder. I now leave the gun in the garage so it can remain cold and not worry about the condensation.

Quick Reply: leaving the gun loaded.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.