Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing? >

How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing?

Old 01-19-2007, 02:49 PM

Default How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing?

I am fairly new to muzzeloading, but I enjoy the hell out of shooting mine. I was wondering if it was ok for the bore, the leave the pellets and sabot in gun for an extended length of time? What do you used to discharge or remove the sabot and pellets? I bought a sabot puller, but it looks to me like it ruins the bullet, since you are boring it out? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Default RE: How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing?

I have left mine loaded for a week and it still fired fine. If the gun isn't getting any moisture in it, you should be fine leaving it for at least a week.

The bullet puller will certainly ruin the bullet. Just take your primer out and don't unload it. That's whatI do.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have left mine loaded for two weeks without shooting.

If its cold outside when I am done hunting then I dont bring the gun inside - I just leave it in the garage. That way condensation dosent form to get moisture in the powder. Its like if you wear glasses and they are frozen or very cold then walk inside, you just want to avoid that with your gun.

You guys are having more cold weather in Texas than we are in Iowa this year - this mabye is a good tip for you.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

a few questions 1st. What kind of a ml is it. There are co2 dischargers for side hammers, for something with a breech plug you can take out the plug and push the charge and bullet on threw. As far as how long when I 1st started I went hunting I left a charge in after a weekend hunt for around 3 weeks, it went bang and hit the bull, I don't do it as a every day thing but I leave the charge in while hunting unless the weather is lousy then i sort of play it by ear. This last year ml hunting indiana, hunted a day and a half in rain, it went bang and hit what I was aiming at.
Old 01-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

If the rifle is clean and has not been shoot, the powder pellets will not rust the barrel. You could technically leave that rifle loaded for years and years. The rule of thumb is, you shoot it, you clean it. So as long as the rifle has not been shot, you can leave it loaded for as long as you like. Remember to mark the rifle as loaded and warn others that the rifle is loaded so there is no mistakes.

If the rifle is an inline rifle, the CO2 dischargers will blow the load out. Some claim to have done it with an air compresser. Another way is to pull the breech plug and push the pellets and projectiles out.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,

I have left T7 in for a week and a half with o problems. I just got a Lyman Flintlock Deerstalker and use Goex 2f. Is it ok to leave it or should I shoot it each day?
Old 01-19-2007, 06:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have left T7 in for a week and a half with o problems. I just got a Lyman Flintlock Deerstalker and use Goex 2f. Is it ok to leave it or should I shoot it each day?
As long as you do not shoot the rifle, you do not need to clean it. You can leave it loaded if you like. Of course keep in mind how to insure that the rifle charge will not become contaminated and then fail to fire. If you shoot the rifle then you should clean it at the end of the day. The nice thing is, just a shot or two and the rifle is not really all that hard to clean.

Keep us posted as to how well that Deerstalker shoots. I have heard some great things about the rifle and its accuracy.
Old 01-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

THH,
I have left mine for the whole season w/o a shot. BP or pyrodex is not corrusive until fired. I always use a ballon over the top of the bore or a latex glove finger I cut off. This keeps any mositure out. I also take bore butter and swab the bore above the load if it does get wet out.
When cold I put my rifle in a padded gun case (cloth type) and bring into the porch until the load has warmed up. NEVER HAVE HAD A MISFIRE! At the end of the season I'll do a burn out and then clean'um up.
SHills
Old 01-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks cayugad, I was just thinking that it would be pretty hard to keep it from damping up with a flintlock.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Dominant Buck

The old trick used to be ... stick a goose wing feather quil into the flash hole. It acted as a vent pick and it kept the moisture out. I personally have never left a flintlock loaded for days on end, so I really could not say what would happen. I do suspect you're right. It would be hard to keep the powder charge from getting damp.

Quick Reply: How long can you keep a ML loaded without firing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.