Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omega Owner  Confused and disappointed please help >

Omega Owner Confused and disappointed please help

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega Owner Confused and disappointed please help

Old 11-08-2005, 03:29 AM

Default RE: Omega Owner Confused and disappointed please help

Try some Pyro RS powder at around 120 G and work Your way up. Try the Hornady SST,s in the 250 G with black sabots. Worked great for Me. It did not take more than 20 to 30 rounds to perfect this load. Sight a little high at 100 and You will be suprised how far and flat that BP gun will shoot. Good luck and do not give up. I think You will really like that gun when You get it figured out.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:39 AM

thank you for the help guys I'm going to pick up some 777 today and some 300gr shockwaves. I'll keep you guys informed. I should have sighted this in a long time ago, but In Michigan our summers are 85-90 degrees and our hunting season is 5-30.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:22 AM

I went through much the same thing. Here's what I learned:
[ul][*]My SS/Laminated Omega does not like powerbelts, regardless of bullet weight or amount of powder or number of pellets[*]Hornady SST's shoot decent, but are a b*%^h to load[*]My gun shoots saboted 300 grn bullets much better than 250's[*]APP Shockey's gold shoots well and cleans easy[*]Shockwaves load easier than Hornadys[*]Remington Kleanbore primers did nothing to improve the crud ring when I used 777 pellets
[/ul] I started working on loads beginning with the 300 grain shockwaves and 110 grns of APP and got some decent groups. I need to try some different volumes of powder and see how that goes. I tried to do this last saturday, but the wind kicked up and it started raining before I could do much else. I would say to give the 300 grn shockwaves a try, as well as the APP shockey's gold. You can buy both at most any Gander Mountain if you have one nearby.

Hope this helps
Bill
Old 11-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

Different gun, similair problem. My new knight disc was almost doing the same thing, at this point and time I'm convinced (right or wrong) that I somehow got a bad jug of powder, the new jug does all the things it's suppose to, no crud ring, less fowling etc. Just something else to look at, ain't it great
Old 11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

[quote]ORIGINAL: Treetopflyer

I went through much the same thing. Here's what I learned:
[ul][*]My SS/Laminated Omega does not like powerbelts, regardless of bullet weight or amount of powder or number of pellets[*]Hornady SST's shoot decent, but are a b*%^h to load[*]My gun shoots saboted 300 grn bullets much better than 250's[*]APP Shockey's gold shoots well and cleans easy[*]Shockwaves load easier than Hornadys[*]Remington Kleanbore primers did nothing to improve the crud ring when I used 777 pellets [/ul]
I found with my Omega, much the same as treetopflyer.
However I did notice that I was having a hard time aligning my eye to the scope consistently. My remedy to the situation was a cheek pad 1/2 inch. I now get much more consistent eye alignment.

Bullets....240 - 250 gr anything...didn't group well
300 sst's same as treetop's
Best most accurate was PR's 340 gr Dead Center's. Say what you like about the company, but those bullets fly like a charm. Load was 2 T7 50grpellets w/ a winchester 209's. I think Cabellas has them as well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/HuntAway/Zero50Cal2.bmp

Old 11-14-2005, 06:32 PM

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A 50CAL. KNIGHT
AMERICAN. IT WILL NOT; AND I SAID "WILL NOT" PUT
TWO OR EVEN THREE BULLETS IN THE SAME PLACE.
I'VE USED EVERY POWDER KNOWN TO MODERN MAN.
I'VE USED EVERY BULLET ON, OR I MIGHT ADD OFF,
THE MARKET. TOOK ML TO LOCAL GUNSMITH, HAD STOCK
CHECKED FOR PROPER ALLIGNMENT...OK....HAD BARREL
CHECKED....OK....HAD SCOPE & MOUNTS CHECKED....
OK.....IT JUST WILL NOT SHOOT A DECENT GROUP.
SO I PUT IT IN THE GUN CASE & BOUGHT A NEW
FRONTIER BEARTOOTH MAG. IN 45 CAL. YES I KNOW
I'VE HEARD ALL THE NEGATIVE'S ABOUT THESE CVA'S
BUT IT TOOK NO TIME AT ALL TO SIGHT-IN IT LOADS
LIKE A DREAM WITH POWERBELT 225 AERO-TIP BULLETS
AND SO FAR IT HAS PUT TWO DOES AND ONE 175LB
5-POINT IN MY FREEZER. JUST MY OPNION BUT I
TRULLY BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE SOME ML THAT
JUST DONT SHOOT ANYTHING WELL. HOPE YOU HAVE
BETTER LUCK THAN I DID.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:46 PM

Just bought my omega about a year ago but it was quick and easy to sight in and find an accurate load for I figured TC sent the 240 gr. mag sabots with the rifle for a reason so I bought a package of them and used two 50 grain pyrodex pellets along with some CCI 209M primers I had on hand, went to the range and impresed the heck out of myself. the omega will shoot 1 to1-1/4 inch 100yd. groups till you get tired of pulling the trigger (or till your shoulder gives out) I havent yet felt the need to do a lot of other load testing but will, if for nothing else for peace of mind and what if?
Old 11-16-2005, 08:08 AM

Aquatech, I've had the exact same problems with My Knight I purchased several years ago. I have tried EVERYTHING powder and bullet wise and can't get it to shoot for anything. Even went so far as to try two different scopes and 2 different mountings. Same results. Talked to the Knight reps at the Shot Show last year and they told me to send the rifle back to be worked on. Haven't done so yet and thinkI'll just buy an Omega.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
Fork Horn

I've got an SS/laminate Omega with a Elite 3-9x40 bore sighted it went out an shot it at 50yds with 2pellets of 777 and 250grain powerbelts 1st shot just below bull, backed target out to 100yds an sighted in with powerbelts. Tried both powerbelts an hornady sst 250grain and was cutting holes, hornady had a little better grouping but they do get hard to load, easy fix with a spit patch. I mark my ram rod for 2 or 3 pellets just to make sure bullet is seated tight.
Old 11-17-2005, 05:52 AM

like others said check your base mounts and the scope mounts, use loctite and tighten them good ,as far as the way your gun shoots if its not the mounts or the scope its the bullet set or a sabot problem.when i got my new omega it only took 3 shots to bullseye it at 50 yards,that was using a scope ,gun vise ,150 gr.of 777 and a 451. 230 xtp/hp and mmp mag black sabot. after that i shot a bunch of different lead bullets trying to get it where it would load easy,a waste of time. i just keep a pot holder or a heavy rag to help push the bullet all the way down ,i think thats most peoples problem is that they don't set the bullet the same every time and that will give you all kinds of problems. hope you get her set.