Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Hornady SST or PR Dead Centers >

Hornady SST or PR Dead Centers

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady SST or PR Dead Centers

Old 10-30-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Hornady SST or PR Dead Centers

I was wondering what bullet better 260 Dead Center or 250 SST Hornady? My gun shot the Hornady's 1" Group with MMP Sub-Base at 120 Triple Seven 2F. I was wondering because some reviews say that the Hornady works like a Full MEtal Jacket. Is that True?
Old 10-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hornady SST or PR Dead Centers

The Hornady SST's will get good expansion. If you have doubts, soak a stack of newspaper and shoot into that with your load. You can peel open the stack of wet paper and it will show you the expansion that is taking place. I Dead Center is a pure lead bullet if memory serves me, with the poly tip. So I am sure you are going to get some good expansion with them also.

The SST's have taken a lot of game down. If I were shooting those kind of groups with that powder charge.. the old saying, "don't mess with a good thing".. comes to mind.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:08 PM

I really appreciate that sugguestion. I am impressed witht the groups I got. The gun is new and was dead on where I wanted it. I did leave the gun 2" hight at 100. I see all kinds of reviews from these bullets but with the Savage Smokeless. They are pushing that bullet a lot faster. Mine is a Knight Disc Elite .50 Stainless with Nikon MOnarch 3-9x40 with permanent Warne Steel bases and Rings. It was a pleasure to shoot. I hade alot of fun today. I had always shot Barne MZ Expanders. I like the look of the SST better it looks like what ever it hits they will take out some tissue on any game.I did read a review from another website that they make a small whole going it but theydo alot of damage. PLease if anyone is reading this forum please reply back if you have take game with these with a gun that shoots pellet or triple 7 loose.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BPRemington

I was wondering what bullet better 260 Dead Center or 250 SST Hornady? My gun shot the Hornady's 1" Group with MMP Sub-Base at 120 Triple Seven 2F. I was wondering because some reviews say that the Hornady works like a Full MEtal Jacket. Is that True?
I am a fan of Dead Center bullets - but not a fan of the 260 grain. Precision Bullets offerstwo different diameters for the 260.If yours is the 40/50 in 260 grain, that bullet was developed to aid bullet flight ... ie... faster bullet speeds of the smokeless Savage ML-10.

If it's the 44/50 caliber you're questioning, alot of folks have very limited success with the 44-cal plastic sabot holding up with 120-150 grain loads using 777 powder.

I suggest youpurchase the 40/50 220 grain DCor the 45/50 300 grain DC -- if you change your mind about the Hornady SSTs. With the SST groups you're getting, I would put those Dead Centers on the back-burner for a while.