Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New to muzzleloading >

New to muzzleloading

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New to muzzleloading

Old 10-09-2005, 01:17 AM
MRE

Default New to muzzleloading

This is going to be my first year muzzleloading for deer. I'm planning on buying a Winchester Apex for $230. It's basically the same gun as the CVA Kodiak. The price is right for me and I really like the way the gun feels when I bring it up to my shoulder. I've done a little research and looking around and I'm planning on using 777 pellets and powerbelts. I'm wondering how much 777 to use and what weight of powerbelts.

I've also never shot or cleaned a muzzleloader. Advise is needed on what cleaning products to use and how often do I need to clean and to what extent. After every shot or just at the end of the day? Thanks in advance to your replies.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to muzzleloading

You might want to look at the recently released T/C Omega Z5 which is not a lot more expensive than the spanish copies of the Omega. The Omega has a real tight barrel and will require some selection of bullets and sabots but when you get that sorted out the rifle will shoot the pants off most of the rest of the available rifles. You will not have to worry about the possibility that the BPI (Spanish barrel manufacturer) barrel will have any defects in it either.
Old 10-09-2005, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Make sure the rifle is nice and clean before you start your shooting is important. Then before you load, pop off at least three of the 209 primers. This will blow the oil and crud out of the breech plug and even put a mild fowling in the breech area of the rifle I like to run a dry patch through the rifle at this point and wipe out some of that fowling. Other leave it in.

Powerbelts should shoot real well out of the Winchester but you will not know that until the rifle is actually shot. Limit your powder to 100 grain loads. The Powerbelts will function with higher powder charges but they tend to produce the best accuracy around 100 grains.

Also remove the plastic button on the bottom of the powerbelt before loading. Put a small dad of oil or bore butter, even spit on the lead spike and then put the button back on. All to often these Powerbelts are holding on to their plastic buttons. Have the projectile shed those plastic buttons ASAP gives you better accuracy down range.

If you really like the Winchester.. and it fits your budget. Well good luck. I would encourage you to look at the Omega Keith is talking about. It is a real great rifle. There are also better rifles out there for about the same money. But then, fit and your personal satisfaction are important, so I would not tell anyone what not to buy.

Good luck with the rifle. Also loose powder is a lot cheaper then pellets. What you will spend in pellets and powerbelts, ... well you will find out fast. They are expensive...

Again, Good luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:30 AM

I just recently bought a winchester apex and am extremely happy with it. I shoot 100 grains pyrodex and 245 grain powerbelts. I bought it for the same reason you talked about. when i picked it up i liked thebalance and theway it fit me. With the powerbelts mine is accurate. I haven't tried any other bullets in it. I use pre-lubed patches to clean it. Knight and t/c both make them.To clean it i first take the breech out thenI run a couplepatches down the barrel going a few inches at a time. It usually pulls back out easier this way then pushing it all the way to the bottom and trying to pull it back out. After the lubed patches i run a couple of dry patches done the barrel until they come out with almost nothing on them. Then i put the breech plug back in (after i clean it) using a little anti-seize.then i shoot a couple caps to make sure it is dry and everything is out of the barrel.Also the manual with the gun has step by step instructions on cleaning and recommendations on how much powder to use. I usually don't clean mine after each shot. But, i don't shoot mine to see how good of groups i can get either. I usually clean it after every few shots. Usually when it gets harder to push the bullet down i clean it. I sighted mine it at 50 yards at about a 2 inch colored in circle and my last three shots were all inside of it. hopefully this weekend i'll get toshoot it again as muzzleloading opens this weekend for me.