Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

VariFlame Adapter

Old 09-30-2005, 06:36 AM

Default VariFlame Adapter

Has anyone used it. Iam thinking of buying the kit.

thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: VariFlame Adapter

I shot the vari flame adaptera few weeks ago, in my .45cal.,209 Wolverine TH. I wasn't impressed the 1st time out. Ihad a mis-fire on one shotbut, it did go off the 2nd time I primed the rifle. I was using CCI,#500 small pistol primers and777 ffg at the time. I need to give it another tryusing CCI #400 small rifle primers.This is what they (PRBULLET) recommends.
Iwant to set upmy chronograph thenext time I get out to the range and give these another try. I'll post my results afterwards.
The kit itself is simple and works ok, as far as priming and decapping goes.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:33 PM

Thank You) Encoreman, I went ahead and order the kit from Cabela,s
its reasonable enough to try in comparison to the 25ACP which is
not complete. Thanks again

Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: edggy

Has anyone used it. Iam thinking of buying the kit.

thanks
That's sure a cute contraption. I have a couple of nipple adapters (Fusil V's, made years ago) that allow you to use SR primers on a caplock - also have one that uses the 209 primers (Mag Spark). It seems to me that the flash from the 209's is hotter than from a small rifle primer -frankly, I see no advantage at all to using SR primers when you can use 209's.......

(BTW, such a device is pictured and described in Ned Roberts' book, The ML Caplock Rifle. These "primer nipples" were in use as far back as the 19th Century!)
Old 10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

eldequello,
Have you been to the prbullet web site and read what they have to say about the 209 primer being to hot? They claim the 209 is so hot it lifts the sabot off the powder charge causing fliers.
Toby Bridgeshas an article on the variflame primer adapters on hpmuzzleloading.com After reading his article and others like it, I feel it's worth a try.
I'm still skeptical, but I'm alsocurious and I want to eliminate those unexplained fliers.I'm looking forward to giving this a real workout. I just need some good weatherand a little time.

Old 10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have used them , and posted a thread awhile back . I was impressed at first , they are great for savages , where the primer gets stuck in the bolt , and for those who have problems with primers coming apart and jamming the actions of their guns , t-bolts come to mind , BUT , upon field testing in some wet weather , I think they are much more moisture sensitive than 209's . I had misfire problems , thank goodness not on game . It maybe a savage problem or the variflames themselfs .
Old 10-12-2005, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ENCOREMAN

eldequello,
Have you been to the prbullet web site and read what they have to say about the 209 primer being to hot? They claim the 209 is so hot it lifts the sabot off the powder charge causing fliers.
Toby Bridgeshas an article on the variflame primer adapters on hpmuzzleloading.com After reading his article and others like it, I feel it's worth a try.
I'm still skeptical, but I'm alsocurious and I want to eliminate those unexplained fliers.I'm looking forward to giving this a real workout. I just need some good weatherand a little time.
No, I haven't been to the pr website. Since I don't use sabots, it is not of much interest to me. But I can see where what you describe might bhappen IF ytour powder charge is not immediately ignited, and the holes in those powder pellets might just permit the primer detonation wave to each the bullet befopre powder gases reach sufficient pressures to move a bullet.

Using 209's in my sidelocks has not proven to be a problem, as these two 100 yard groups show. I use loose powder. The .50 was with ClearShot FFFg, and the .45 was shot with 777. The .50 had a Vel. of 1740@ 10 feet, and I did not chronograph the .45, which used 90 grains of T7 FFg.

The .50 was shot with a home-cast 370-grain MaxiBall, and the .45 was with a 250-grain Maxiball. Both shot from Hawken sidelocks having Bill Large RB slow-twist barrels......

Old 10-12-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oops! The .45 cal group didn't make it on the last post.....