Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 MUZZLELOADING IN PA? >

MUZZLELOADING IN PA?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

MUZZLELOADING IN PA?

Old 08-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Default MUZZLELOADING IN PA?

hey their, i am new to this wonderful sport of muzzleloading and really love the idea of going out this year, here in pa the season is a week in mid-october for just anterless, i am curious what fellow pennsylvanians think about the chances of ever allowing to shoot bucks also at this time of year, or better yet allowing our in-lines at the second season after christmas, so we have more time afield, just a thought but curios what others think.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MUZZLELOADING IN PA?

alot of us flinters want a chance for a buck in october......i think it would be GREAT........but second season wont change anytime soon if us flinters have any say so....we talked about it on another site...and noone wanted it but inline hunters.....its our only traditional season....leave it be........but with all the changes and HR i wouldnt be too surprised if they let inlines hunt the late season....i just hope im out of the state by then....i dont want to see it happen.....the late seasons my favorite deer season......
Old 08-26-2004, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your questions, NO and NO.
The early season was put in to accomplish early doe reduction in line with the goals of AR. The chance that they will allow Buck harvest then is slim and none. As far as allowing modern muzzleloading in late season, and I asked this question of the headquarters in Harrisburg, is NO. They told me that there is no suggestion of this in the forseeable future and the fella told me that if I want to use a modern ML then I should use it in the regular rifle season, as flintlock STAYS flintlock, PERIOD! I then went out and bought a flintlock, Hahaha..
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 PM

I kinda gos two ways with this. I would like to see Muzzleloading get a chance to shoot bucks in October or even in November. Although, I agree with livbucks, IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN.

Another idea would be to have a seperate season in November, for buck, but that would conflict with Turkey season. I still feel that it would be nice to have a flint season in November for buck only.

Again, IT AIN"T GONNA HAPPEN. Like Sunday hunting. Hey, that's a great idea. How about Sunday hunting bucks, with flints, in November? Sounds like fun....

Tom
Old 08-26-2004, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

outbackshooter, being from and in Idaho I know very little about Penn and the hunting rules. From what I have read across these boards in Penn you would probably be better off with a more traditional sidelock cap gun. You might be able to spend more time afield that way. I shoot both in Idaho, inlines and traditional, I use the inlines through the regular rifle season switch to a TC or Lyman during ML season, and the final switch is to a TC Renegade for Primative season.

Just a side note on your scope question, if you do the Bushnell thing look very carefully at the 3x9x40 Trophy with a mil-dot reticle. The Trophy is a step up from the Legend or Banner and the optics are very good. The 3200 Elite is an outstanding scope for the price.
I do have a Tasco WC 3x9x40 on an Austin & Halleck and have never had a bit of trouble with it - so if you have one and you like use it.

Enjoy your time hunting - it is a great activity.
Old 08-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

How about Sunday hunting bucks, with flints, in November? Sounds like fun....
Seriously Tom, that is one of the best ideas I have heard of in recent memory.
Someone should present this to the GC, pronto!
Old 08-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think that anyone who wants to shoot a buck with his ML, or use one of them "in-line contraptions" needs to do it in the regular gun season. There are plenty of places in this state where you can only see a deer at ranges under 100 yards, and since you are not likely to get more than one shot at any critter anyway under such hunting conditions, you really aren't under much of a handicap to use a frontstuffer. Just sets you apart from those less-skilled hunters that have to use them there new-fangled breechloaders!!
Old 09-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

sabotloader - Here in PA, you can only use a flintlock ml during the traditional season which starts right after Christmas and runs into Jan. And up until only a couple of years ago, you could only use patch and ball. This has since been revised where you can now use conicals.
During the early season, in mid october, you are permitted to use in-lines, caplocks or flintlocks but only for anterless deer provided you have a valid anterless license for the management unit.
And I totall agree with most of you. I want to see the traditional season stay traditional. I enjoy moving through the snow with my flinter, checking my pan every so often making sure my powder is still dry. And I love the way the smoke just hangs in that cold winter air after dropping the hammer.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

hey do what i did....i bought my flintlock so i can hunt the late season and i use it in every season i can use it in....i love it when i show up at some game lands and the rifle hunters just look at me like i was crazy....then there looks change as i'm carrying out my deer and they are not at the end of the day....last year i was the only one to get a deer in n.y. on opening day with my flinter and it was raining to boot.................bob