Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Want to get into muzzleloading... >

Want to get into muzzleloading...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Want to get into muzzleloading...

Old 12-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default Want to get into muzzleloading...

Hey guys (and gals),
I'm sure you all have seen posts like this a million times, but I looked through the last few weeks of posts and I didn't find a similar post so here it goes: I want to get into muzzleloading and I was wondering what would be a good starter muzzleloader. Here are a few caveats; I want to start out with a modern muzzleloader that is easy to clean, not cost too much (under $400) with good open sights (with the possibility of adding a scope in the future). I was looking at the seasons for muzzleloading in KS and they have a 2 week early season (from lateSept to early Oct), how awesome! If there is something else youexperts thing I shouldknow, I'm all ears (or eyes).

Thanks everyone for your response
Old 12-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Want to get into muzzleloading...

ORIGINAL: MO-KS_hunter

Hey guys (and gals),
I'm sure you all have seen posts like this a million times, but I looked through the last few weeks of posts and I didn't find a similar post so here it goes: I want to get into muzzleloading and I was wondering what would be a good starter muzzleloader. Here are a few caveats; I want to start out with a modern muzzleloader that is easy to clean, not cost too much (under $400) with good open sights (with the possibility of adding a scope in the future). I was looking at the seasons for muzzleloading in KS and they have a 2 week early season (from lateSept to early Oct), how awesome! If there is something else youexperts thing I shouldknow, I'm all ears (or eyes).

Thanks everyone for your response
Kansas, open areas long shot < $400, I would go with a TC Triumph, easy to clean and shoot Barnes TMZs 250g or 300g. Put a Bushnell 3200 or 4200 3x9 scope on it or a Nikon and you got a 200 yard ML that is easy to clean and a great shooter with Blackhorn 209.

Another good rifle is the Savage 10ML2, which you can shoot smokeless, you can get one for about $524:

http://www.natchezss.com/Category.cfm?contentID=productDetail&prodID=BV 10MLIIXP&prodTitle=W%2FSCOPE%20BLUE%2050%2024W %2FACCU%2D%2D%2D17501

The Advantage of a Savage and smokeless is you can shoot 300 to 500 fps faster, thefore extend your MPBR about 50 yards. Savages are harder to shoot because of different powders, etc. If however your a CF handloader then the Savage is right up your alley. Sorta 1 gun ballistics lab for those who are "into it". It is also a rat hole for sinking money into for upgrades--thumbhole stock, new barrels, new everything except the action. Making them accurate to 1.5 inches is no problem out of the box, some folks go the extra mile and want 3 holes touching at 100, you can do that with some loads but some do it with add ons like new barrels which are very costly.
Chap
Old 12-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree with Chap. Long range, means a Omega, or Triumph because of your price range. Load it with BlackHorn 209 and some Barnes or Shockwaves and good luck.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, I'm looking at the T/C Triumph and that looks like a good choice. Also, the Leupold ultimateslam muzzleloader scope looks like a good choice to top it with.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

With a set up like that, I would think you have a 200 yard rifle. Try some 200 grain Shockwaves.. that's where I would start for long distance.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

since I have not shot bh209, if and only if your not wanting to invest that much into starting out. I say an CVA Wolf. if I remember right it also shots bh209 pretty good. but it is also a good rifle for how much it cost. have not shot one. but my bother in law and oldest nephew have one. I have seen how well they shot. maybe spend $300 on scope and rifle. rest of the money on bullets and powder.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe check out Cabela's sale on the Remington Genesis. That looks like an awesome deal to me. Right over $100 after the discounts and rebates. I think it was like $103 with shipping. After rebates and all.

That being said I have a Marlin MLS-50 that is the first muzzle loader I've had and I love it. If you can find one it's a pretty decent one.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, the Leupold ultimateslam muzzleloader scope looks like a good choice to top it with.
Leupold is an excellent brand, give us a link to that scope so we can add that to our Christmas List 2020. Chap
Old 12-06-2008, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

Also, the Leupold ultimateslam muzzleloader scope looks like a good choice to top it with.
Leupold is an excellent brand, give us a link to that scope so we can add that to our Christmas List 2020. Chap
Here you go chap:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602006-cat601566_TGP&id=0059813713070a&navCount=1 &podId=0059813&parentId=cat601566&mast erpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&am p;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233& amp;hasJS=true
Old 12-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not so sure about saying that Leupold is a excellent brand. I know they have their guys that like them but they also have a lot of people whom don't like them including me. The reason I don't like them is I bought one about a year and a half ago. It's a Leupold VX-I 3x9x40mm. In the year and a half it's been sent into Leupold 2 times. To top it off it seems like if you touch the thing wrong it loses zero. I've got a Simmons now granted it's on a .22 so it doesn't have to hold up to recoil but I've dropped that thing where the scope hit fairly hard in the grass, had it fall around hitting who knows what, and just not been easy on it at all. Yet when I go to shoot it it's still dead on to where it was sighted in for and works just as well as it did when I put it on there 4 years ago. The Leupold I had fall over hit on carpet and was in a gun sock to protect it and when I went to check it the next day to see if it was off it had knocked it about 3-4" higher than where I had sighted it in. The Simmons has been through much more and never moved. A buddy has a Simmons on his .270 that he said has been dropped, fallen out of the truck onto the ground a few times, and just in general had the crap beat out of it too. Yet it still shoots in the same place he sighted it in for. He got it out this year and shot it and it hasn't moved. This is after several years of abuse. I'm lucky if my Leupold will last through one hunting season without having to re adjust it.

The other complaint I have is I also have a $30 Tasco. Had two one as a spare scope I used while the Leupold was in for repair but I sold it and the other is on a muzzle loader. I've had it a little over a year and it still works great. The Leupold was sent in once when it was 6months old or so and again at 1 1/2 years. Although it wasn't shot a ton during that time. This to me is telling me that the Tasco has lasted quite a bit longer so far than the Leupold and it was $30 vs $223 or whatever the Leupold was. Then I had guys on here telling me how it was no way the Tasco could be anywhere near as clear as the Leupold. They can think what they want but it looks just as clear to me. They both are decent clairty wise and I can't tell a difference between the two. I had a few buddies look through them and they all said the Tasco looked clearer to them. So now I have a $30 scope that's lasted longer and is just as clear if not clearer. So why should I pay the extra money for the Leupold? The Simmons was only $40 or $60 or something. That was however 4 years ago and it's lasted 4 years of abuse although it is on a .22. It still is going great and has been a good scope.

I will say I bought a Burris Fullfield II and actually just replaced the Leupold with it when the Leupold went in for repair this time I put the Burris on and am leaving it on. So far I love it. It blows the Leupold, Tasco, and Simmons away clairity wise. I see what people were talking about with clear scopes now. I've never been bothered by one not being clear but this thing is so clear it's amazing to me. Way clearer than the Leupold. I love it. The friend helping me sight the rifle in said the same thing. He said wow this thing is clear when he looked through it. This was after shooting the gun with the Leupold a few minutes earlier. It was also $23 cheaper than the Leupold and came with a free GPS. Although I did get it on a clearance sale. I can't comment on how it will last but so far I love this thing. I'd either go with this if I was spending in the $200 range or I'd go with a $30 Tasco or cheap Simmons if I wanted any cheaper. Or if it was a Leupold in the $200 range I'd just save the money and get the $30 Tasco.

There are some nicer scopes for more money but I just can't bring myself to spend $500 on a scope when I can shoot perfectly fine with the ones I have including the cheapo $30 one that will hit the bullseye time after time at 100 yards.

Quick Reply: Want to get into muzzleloading...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.