Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay >

.54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

Old 09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: Finaddict

Hey Triple Se7en I am using the Remingtion #11 caps that are supposed to be 40% hotter. The powder channel is always clear. I think I'm just going to go to using FFF /P powder in the sidelocks and see what happens. I think it will do just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
If you"re using the Remington #11 caps, that might be your problem right there... I hate those caps!! Of all the caps I have shot the ones that gave me nothing but problems were the Remington. And wouldn't you know it, the Wal Mart where I live would only carry them after they ran out of CCI Magnum #11 caps.

I finally bought myself a case of the Dynamite Noble 1075. Now them are caps. They make everything go BOOM! I always have excellent luck with them. As for the Remington, well I have some tins in the gun room and when I am preparing the rifle to take it to the range outside, I will use them to pop through the nipple....
Remington recently "updated" their No. 11 caps to where these are now supposed to be as hot as CCI # 11 Magnum caps.......
Old 09-05-2005, 03:33 PM

ORIGINAL: cayugad
If you"re using the Remington #11 caps, that might be your problem right there... I hate those caps!! Of all the caps I have shot the ones that gave me nothing but problems were the Remington. And wouldn't you know it, the Wal Mart where I live would only carry them after they ran out of CCI Magnum #11 caps.

I finally bought myself a case of the Dynamite Noble 1075. Now them are caps. They make everything go BOOM! I always have excellent luck with them. As for the Remington, well I have some tins in the gun room and when I am preparing the rifle to take it to the range outside, I will use them to pop through the nipple....
That's funny cayugad. I've only used the CCI #11 and the Remington #11 (that are supposed to be hotter). I've had more misfires with the CCI's than I have with the Remington. I'll have to look around and see if I can find some of those Dynamite Noble caps and give em a try.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Finnadict.. I kid you not, I had to get two tins of the Remington caps to hold me over until I could find something else, and I bet I had over 10% misfires out of those tins. The CCI Magnums worked great for me but I did not like the plain CCI's. And the 1075's I can not remember ever having a misfire with them.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075s are the best (red box).

If you are having so many problems with Remington & CCI-Mag caps, you need to change that nipple. They are cheap so why not change that when you buy new, smaller granule powder? Buy a Hot Shot or Splitfire nipplefrom Cabelas.... or try the 209 upgrade mentioned here.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:39 PM

I'm not doubting you had many a misfire off of the Remingtons and I think I was using the regular CCI's which I was not a huge fan of. I am using a Hot Shot nipple and it's really not that I'm having any real trouble, I just want to see if I can get Pyrodex to touch off like Goex. After hunting season (which starts on the 10th of Sept.) I'll play around a bit with some different options and see what happens.