Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay >

.54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

Old 09-04-2005, 09:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

ORIGINAL: Finaddict

I took my .54 GPR to the range and tried loading it with 90gr. Pyrodex RS with a CCI #11 cap and a PRB and when I let off the trigger there was a slight delay between the cap being popped and the powder charge going off. Now when I use Goex 2F with everything else the same I experience no delay at all. Is there a way to be able to use Pyrodex without getting a delay? Perhaps I ought to try Pyrodex P instead. It works just fine in my Crockett .32.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Pyrodex "P" might stop the hangfire, but if you check the October Country web site, they sell the "Mag-Spark" nipple. Put one on your GPR, and use No. 209 shotgun primers! This will eliminate any hangfires caused by Pyrodex.

http://octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=395
Old 09-04-2005, 09:46 AM

Thanks eldequello I'll check the link out and see what they have. Never thought of using 209 with a sidelock.
Old 09-04-2005, 09:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Pyrodex "P" might stop the hangfire, but if you check the October Country web site, they sell the "Mag-Spark" nipple. Put one on your GPR, and use No. 209 shotgun primers! This will eliminate any hangfires caused by Pyrodex.
eldeguello ... Have you ever had any problems with the nipple being blown back to the half cock or full cock position from the power of the 209 primer? Other posts claim it can damage the spring in the hammer. I just wondered if you experienced any of this?
Old 09-04-2005, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep the powder channel clear by using hard-force water spray when cleaning..... make sure the bottom hole of the nipple is clear -- use FFF/P powder with sidelocks -- then buy a hotter nipple & #11 caps that say "magnum"..... that's all you need to get instantaneous ignition... as long as your powder is not contaminated with moisture.

If using the system poster eldeguellodescribes, buy the Remington Kleanbore 209 primers.... nothing elseto maintainlongetivity of your hammer spring. Also keep a close eye on the 209 primer while sitting & pivoting in your hunting seat. It may fall off the 209 nipple... may not! All 209 manufacturers are not using the same precise diameters.

I have no idea why his name came out big & bold in my post. Must be a demonin the web airways...lol[:@][:@]
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

eldeguello ... Have you ever had any problems with the nipple being blown back to the half cock or full cock position from the power of the 209 primer? Other posts claim it can damage the spring in the hammer. I just wondered if you experienced any of this?
Absolutey not! The Mag Spark's vent hole is no bigger than that of any other nipple. But it will blast a flash from the primer all the way out the muzzle, just like you get when you pop a primer in a centerfire case that has no bullet or powder in the case.

I have not tried it, (I'm a "loose powder" man), but I'll bet you could even use Pyrodex pellets in a sidelock with this nipple-at least I think I could, because my rifles have "semipatent breeches" in which the flash comes in at the dead center of the rear of the chamber......
Old 09-04-2005, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Triple Se7en

Keep the powder channel clear by using hard-force water spray when cleaning..... make sure the bottom hole of the nipple is clear -- use FFF/P powder with sidelocks -- then buy a hotter nipple & #11 caps that say "magnum"..... that's all you need to get instantaneous ignition... as long as your powder is not contaminated with moisture.

If using the system poster eldeguellodescribes, buy the Remington Kleanbore 209 primers.... nothing elseto maintainlongetivity of your hammer spring. Also keep a close eye on the 209 primer while sitting & pivoting in your hunting seat. It may fall off the 209 nipple... may not! All 209 manufacturers are not using the same precise diameters.

I have no idea why his name came out big & bold in my post. Must be a demonin the web airways...lol[:@][:@]
The Mag-Spark nipple has a cap that contains a "firing pin" that screws onto the outside of the nipple body after you put the primer in,covering the primer. This effectively waterproofs the nipple/cap assembly, so no moisture can enter from the breech, AND, of course, the primer can't fall off........

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/eldeguello/display-image.jpg

The cap with pin protruding is at the lower right in this photo.....
Old 09-05-2005, 06:27 AM

Hey Triple Se7en I am using the Remingtion #11 caps that are supposed to be 40% hotter. The powder channel is always clear. I think I'm just going to go to using FFF /P powder in the sidelocks and see what happens. I think it will do just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used Pyrodex RS in my CVA sidelock since I got it. I have never had any problems with ignition. I use CCI #11 Magnum caps.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Finaddict

Hey Triple Se7en I am using the Remingtion #11 caps that are supposed to be 40% hotter. The powder channel is always clear. I think I'm just going to go to using FFF /P powder in the sidelocks and see what happens. I think it will do just fine. Thanks for all the suggestions.
If you"re using the Remington #11 caps, that might be your problem right there... I hate those caps!! Of all the caps I have shot the ones that gave me nothing but problems were the Remington. And wouldn't you know it, the Wal Mart where I live would only carry them after they ran out of CCI Magnum #11 caps.

I finally bought myself a case of the Dynamite Noble 1075. Now them are caps. They make everything go BOOM! I always have excellent luck with them. As for the Remington, well I have some tins in the gun room and when I am preparing the rifle to take it to the range outside, I will use them to pop through the nipple....
Old 09-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

I like the Nobel but have grown fond of the CCI caps. I just bought out a gun shop going out of business $2 a tin. I bought 1500 of the suckers, that should keep me going for a year or two. (1500 caps not tins lol)

The are a mix of 50/50 magnum and regular.

Quick Reply: .54 GPR and Pyrodex RS cause slight delay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.