Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 MZE slight noise problem >

MZE slight noise problem

Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

MZE slight noise problem

Old 02-18-2003, 06:09 PM

Default MZE slight noise problem

Ok, I am shooting a 2002 Bt Patriot. I have everything there is (as far as silencing goes) on this bow. String leeches, vibrablocks nestled against the limb pockets, limb savers, two stablizers (front and back), limb saver button on sight, and two cable guard dampners.
I shoot 63#, 28" draw. I have a MZE, and I am pretty sure that that is where the noise is coming from. I don' t know how to solve this problem. I have tried tightning all the screws, and everything. I have even taken off the overdraw plate.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, how can I solve it?
Old 02-18-2003, 08:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: MZE slight noise problem

Try putting some plumbers tape on the turn buckle thread and a axle shim behind the turn buckle on the cable slide
Old 02-18-2003, 10:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Vital.......If you are using the supplied overdraw shelf assembly check 2 things.
1. Make sure the shelf section is sitting tight against the riser.
2. Make sure that the Overdraw " arm" (The section that extends along the shelf) is NOT flush against the bows arrow shelf. When the bow is fired this arm is flexible and vibrates rather violently(lay your finger on it for a shot and you will see) if within this vibration it is close enough to contact the arrow shelf you will get a pretty nasty noise.

Also make sure there is not any " Play" in the main swingarm. There is a fine line between too tight and too loose, This arm should move freely but not " Freefall" when adjusting it.

These are the only suggestoins I have as " Ausie" hit on the other 2 potential problems....especially the axle shim at the connection between the slide and the turnbuckle sleeve. SOme of the ZE' s I' ve seen have been sloppy at this junction.

Good Luck.
Old 02-19-2003, 08:42 AM

I put moleskin on everything that you could put moleskin on without interfering with the movement and mines silent. Matt' s right too...it should move freely, not sloppily.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt.
On mine I moved the overdraw bracket back so there is about 1/2" between the back of the riser and the over draw when I had it tight against the back of the riser there was a noise but that noise went away after I moved it back.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

I agree, Aussie. I moved mine out to about 3/16" all the way around. Quiet as a mouse. I did find some noise in mine recently. I needed to retighten the arm slightly. Take it off the cable slide, tighten until it just supports the weight of the arm. It barely was loose, but enough to make a small noise. It' s been shot since early last year, first time it needed tightening.
Trebark
Old 02-19-2003, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ausie.......you are right some risers will not allow you to get the shelf exactly tight against it. If ZE shelf is truly flush against the riser it shouldn' t make a peep. In the case where there is an unavoidable gap, get it away far enough that it has no chance to vibrate into the riser.
A layer of moleskin along the edge before you snug the shelf up tight to the riser will help as well.
Also moleskin the entire hook arm along the top edge from the tip to bottom(a 1/2" piece as long as the hook tapered slightly for the tip itself)......then take a razor blade and cut down thru the moleskin into the " V" on the hook. Press the moleskin down into this " V' to define it............ you won' t hear ANYTHING when you draw.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:58 PM

I shouldn' t be getting any shelf noise cause I took it off. Didn' t figure I really need it seems how the hook won' t let my arrow fall off anyways.
the swing arm is the way it should be. Snug, but moves freely, just enough to hold the arm up.
I took Ausie-guys advice, and put plumbers tape on the screw inside the turnbuckle sleeve, but only about a qaurter of an inch of the screw sticks out so that is the only area that I could put the tape on. Is that all I need to do, or do I need to take the screw all the way out and cover the whole thing? If so, how do you get the screw out? I noticed a little pin that is probably the thing that holds the screw in.
Also, I got a little carried away with the tape. I put it over pretty much every screw on my bow. I haven' t been able to shoot it yet, so I don' t know if it has helped yet.
And the axle shim behind the turn buckle on the cable slide, I know what you mean, but what kind of shim should I use. I put a little bit of plumbers tape around the axle. Will that work? or will it put a bind on it?
Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:05 AM

Vitalkiller, if the above suggestions don' t help stop the noise, I would call Muzzy and they will replace the rest. Send that one back and get a new one. They are great people~~