Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

solvent

Old 07-12-2005, 11:37 AM

Default solvent

welll im a seasoned hunter and gunsman, i recently purchased a new cva inline blackpowder rifle. i took it out and shot about 8 rounds threw it 100grns of pyrodex powder and 225grn sabots. i took it home to clean it with TC original bp none oil barrel cleaner, i cleaned the barrel polished the gun and put it bak in the cabinet. next day i came to the gun room to check everything and large amounts of some kind of corrosion, ive never had a bp gun or centerfire rifle do this. i believe its the solvent. any ideas as to why or what caused it post a reply. thanks 1shot
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: solvent

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill

welll im a seasoned hunter and gunsman, i recently purchased a new cva inline blackpowder rifle. i took it out and shot about 8 rounds threw it 100grns of pyrodex powder and 225grn sabots. i took it home to clean it with TC original bp none oil barrel cleaner, i cleaned the barrel polished the gun and put it bak in the cabinet. next day i came to the gun room to check everything and large amounts of some kind of corrosion, ive never had a bp gun or centerfire rifle do this. i believe its the solvent. any ideas as to why or what caused it post a reply. thanks 1shot
1shotkill... if you were using Thompson Center #13 Black Powder Bore Cleaner thinking that the solvent would clean and protect the bore of your rifle from rust, I think you were mistaken. All the T/C Bore Cleaner did was remove the fowling from the barrel and then left your barrel basically open to the elements. What you got ... if this is a red rust colored stain on the patch is the begining of surface rust. Take a good quality solvent, dip a bore brush in that solvent and scrub the bore of your rifle. Then put some solvent on the patches and patch the barrel until the patches no longer have any rust showing on them. If the surface rust was real bad, you might need to get some J-B Bore Paste and scrub the barrel but I doubt it is all that serious at this stage.

Once you have nice clean patches coming out the barrel take a patch and saturate it with some quality gun oil. Some of my favorite oils are Birchwood Casey Sheath or Rem Oil with Teflon. Then swab the bore of your rifle with that oil and leave it on nice and thick. Store the rifle overnight muzzle end down on a soft cotton cloth. The next day patch the barrel with some dry patches and inspect the bore.. it should be nice and clean. Now run a patch lightly coated with a quality gun oil and put the gun away.... Then check it in a week or two to make sure all is well...

Some of my favorite solvents are Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber (if you really need to clean something), Breakfree CLP is also an excellent solvent cleaner which also protects the bore, Hoppies Black Powder Solvent is another good one.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

Cayugad is dead on again with his advice.
There is one thing you need to remember when using a dedicated black powder solvent................they are usually water-based, not petroleum based. So unless you patch dry your bore and add a preservative...........the solvent residue is going to accelerate rusting in the bore.
I too use a CLP-type product in my boresas apreservative after it is cleaned.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Spike

Well i use Cig.Lighter Fluid and have been for years,.ever since the early 70's infact.It clean's the tuffest of fouling ,i even use it on old un-attented to gun's thatwas rusted up pretty bad from not cleaning.Sorry Guy's but i havenot seen nor use anything any better
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would follow the advice given to get the bore completely clean first.

I have always used hot soapy water to clean my inlines when shooting pyrodex with no problems. If I have been at the range and shot a number of times I run my bore brush first, however if only a few shotI have found no need to run the bore brush first. Ithen pour hot soapy water from the breech to the bore and follow that with dry patchs until they appear clean & dry. Next I run a couple of soaked patch with light gun oilto coat the bore and store muzzle down as indicated for a period. Only when required will I run a solvent to remove plastic or cooper fouling but this is always after I have cleaned the barrel first using the above method. When I use solvents I follow it with patch soaked in isopropyl alcohol to neutralize the solvent agents. I always end all my firearm cleaning with a coat of oil for storage/protection and prior to use will run a dry patch to ensure excess oil is removed prior to firing.

Now that I use 777 powder, I run hot water instead of thewater& soapbut everything else remains the same.

Best of luck.