HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - solvent
Thread: solvent
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2005, 03:23 PM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: solvent

ORIGINAL: 1shotkill

welll im a seasoned hunter and gunsman, i recently purchased a new cva inline blackpowder rifle. i took it out and shot about 8 rounds threw it 100grns of pyrodex powder and 225grn sabots. i took it home to clean it with TC original bp none oil barrel cleaner, i cleaned the barrel polished the gun and put it bak in the cabinet. next day i came to the gun room to check everything and large amounts of some kind of corrosion, ive never had a bp gun or centerfire rifle do this. i believe its the solvent. any ideas as to why or what caused it post a reply. thanks 1shot
1shotkill... if you were using Thompson Center #13 Black Powder Bore Cleaner thinking that the solvent would clean and protect the bore of your rifle from rust, I think you were mistaken. All the T/C Bore Cleaner did was remove the fowling from the barrel and then left your barrel basically open to the elements. What you got ... if this is a red rust colored stain on the patch is the begining of surface rust. Take a good quality solvent, dip a bore brush in that solvent and scrub the bore of your rifle. Then put some solvent on the patches and patch the barrel until the patches no longer have any rust showing on them. If the surface rust was real bad, you might need to get some J-B Bore Paste and scrub the barrel but I doubt it is all that serious at this stage.

Once you have nice clean patches coming out the barrel take a patch and saturate it with some quality gun oil. Some of my favorite oils are Birchwood Casey Sheath or Rem Oil with Teflon. Then swab the bore of your rifle with that oil and leave it on nice and thick. Store the rifle overnight muzzle end down on a soft cotton cloth. The next day patch the barrel with some dry patches and inspect the bore.. it should be nice and clean. Now run a patch lightly coated with a quality gun oil and put the gun away.... Then check it in a week or two to make sure all is well...

Some of my favorite solvents are Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber (if you really need to clean something), Breakfree CLP is also an excellent solvent cleaner which also protects the bore, Hoppies Black Powder Solvent is another good one.