HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - solvent
Thread: solvent
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2005, 09:56 AM
skeeter 7MM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: solvent

I would follow the advice given to get the bore completely clean first.

I have always used hot soapy water to clean my inlines when shooting pyrodex with no problems. If I have been at the range and shot a number of times I run my bore brush first, however if only a few shotI have found no need to run the bore brush first. Ithen pour hot soapy water from the breech to the bore and follow that with dry patchs until they appear clean & dry. Next I run a couple of soaked patch with light gun oilto coat the bore and store muzzle down as indicated for a period. Only when required will I run a solvent to remove plastic or cooper fouling but this is always after I have cleaned the barrel first using the above method. When I use solvents I follow it with patch soaked in isopropyl alcohol to neutralize the solvent agents. I always end all my firearm cleaning with a coat of oil for storage/protection and prior to use will run a dry patch to ensure excess oil is removed prior to firing.

Now that I use 777 powder, I run hot water instead of thewater& soapbut everything else remains the same.

Best of luck.