Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Weatherproofing sidelock ML? >

Weatherproofing sidelock ML?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weatherproofing sidelock ML?

Old 07-08-2005, 04:54 PM
Spike

Default Weatherproofing sidelock ML?

What can be done to weatherproof/waterproof my sidelock? Most likely I will see rain and maybe snow during hunting season.

Thanks

Blue Moose
Old 07-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Weatherproofing sidelock ML?

Go to Wal Mart or any other pharmacy and buy some finger cots. They look like a small balloon. You put that over the end of the muzzle and you can shoot right through it without taking it off. For the nipple some smear a small amount of candle wax around the bottom of the cap to water proof it. Other use a small piece of clear plastic fish tank tube that fits over the #11 cap and seals it to the nipple of the rifle. Another way is to take some handi wrapp and pull a small piece of the cling wrap. Put that over the cap and nipple and press that to the rifle. Again, you can shoot right through that. Still another way is to take some tarp or leather and water proof it. It is called a cows knee. This hangs on top[of the rifle and covers the lock area. This is the trick flintlock shooter use to keep the lock area dry. When you're ready to shoot, remove the cow knee. It hangs from the trigger guard. That should keep you dry. Some take a cap off their tire tube and put that over the cap and then rest the hammer on the top of that. It keeps the cap dry and acts like a safety.. I personally have never tried that but they sell brass ones for this purpose...

last is hunt on only dry days...
Old 07-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

I use "Quick-Seal"...a little silicone rubber cap that fits over the nipple. Never have covered the muzzle.
Old 07-09-2005, 06:12 AM

the only thing I have ever done , is cover the cap with saran wrap.never had a problem after that.
one thing a friend of mine does,and says he hever had water get in..... he takes the stuff women use to harden there nails with,(a clear nail polish) he paints around the nipple. that works for him.