Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First sidelock on it's way... >

First sidelock on it's way...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First sidelock on it's way...

Old 09-08-2006, 10:16 PM

Default First sidelock on it's way...

Expecting my new gun soon! It's a T/C White Mountain Carbine, in .50 cal. I already went to Wally World and got some #11 caps, pyrodex ffg, and some maxihunters (really about the only the conical they had). This is my first sidelock, I'm real excited. Any words of wisdom about sidehammer guns would be greatly appreciated, I'm all ears.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM

Default RE: First sidelock on it's way...

i gotta traditions 50 cal hawken

no words of wisdom (im still learnin)

very Very fun ta shoot though

early
Old 09-08-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Safety pins and paper clip for keeping the nipple clear. You may eventually want FFF, hotter 1/4X28 nippleand hot caps (red tin Dynamit Nobel 1075s)to ensure instantaneous ignition.

I don't do the barrel in a bucket of water routine with mine when I'm cleaning the sidelocks. I generally get all the fouling out - then use a funnel that fits the muzzle tight without holding it -- then run a quart of hot tap water down the muzzle slowly with the nipple removed.

Have 3-4 patches ready to dry the bore before flash-rust occurs. I clean the nipple hole using solvent-dipped pipe cleaners and Q-tips. Clean the hammer area with an all-purpose cleaner/oil like Ballistol, Breakfree CLP .... on that order. Not much there to worry about - plus the all-purpose kills two birds with one stone.

I remove my lock once a year to clean & lightly oil. Trigger sees once every two years. If yours is the fast twist 1-20", it may like heavy conicals. However, many girls (some guys) don't seem to likethe heavy recoil associated with heavy conicals.

If the worse case scenario arises & you are unhappy with it, give me a private message. I may want to purchase it.

Welcome to the Sidelock World.
Old 09-09-2006, 06:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Expecting my new gun soon! It's a T/C White Mountain Carbine, in .50 cal. I already went to Wally World and got some #11 caps, pyrodex ffg, and some maxihunters (really about the only the conical they had). This is my first sidelock, I'm real excited. Any words of wisdom about sidehammer guns would be greatly appreciated, I'm all ears.
Congrats. You may find that FFFG grade powder is more reliable with the BP substitutes. I've had trouble with the FFG grade powders in a sidelock before. If you can get blackpowder that would be best using FFG but many people cannot find it locally.A tip: afteryou pour the powder down the barrel hold the rifle on it's side, with the nipple down,at a 45 degree angle (muzzle up) and tap the top of the stock at the lock. The idea is to put powder under the nipple to ensure more reliable ignition.

I'm trying to think if there are any more tips specific to sidelocks I can give you but I'm having a brain fart and can't think of any. [:@]
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 PM

i did make a BP shootin box that contains all needed parafanalia

and a field cleaning kit consisting of a small bucket containing vinegar, alchohol, dish-soap, break-cleaner, and old tooth brushes etc...

i clean my BP arms right after shootin and redo em b4 storage later

early
Old 09-09-2006, 06:44 PM

It's kind of funny, that model gun has been around for 15 years or better, I've had mine that long, and I really never heard much about them. I've been bouncing in and out of this board for about 6 months now and this must be the 4th thread about someone getting one.

That's a fine gun you are getting, I never had much luck with maxi hunters, Lee REAL bullets work well with 80grs of 2F BP. Even though it's not traditional, sabots also produce good groups. If you can find real BP. you be better off than with subs, real BP will work with just about any cap. It's one of the nicest guns around if you do alot of walking.

Doug
Old 09-09-2006, 09:20 PM

Well, I lucked out today. A decided on a hunch to visit a gunstore in my area to see if they knew where I could get real blackpowder. "Right here" the owner quipped. I plunked down my money and came home with a pound of Goex ffg and some 370 grain maxiballs. I just might have to see how my Encore likes black powder, it's certainly cheaper than triple 7.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Well it is but it isn't real bp is denser so you get less shots per pound. It will work real well in your new rifle so be happy you can find real bp locally
Old 09-09-2006, 10:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Pittsburghunter

Well it is but it isn't real bp is denser so you get less shots per pound. It will work real well in your new rifle so be happy you can find real bp locally
Huh?[&:] "This canister contains black powder made from potassium nitrate, suphur, and charcoal" is what it says on the back of the container. I'm sorry I don't get what you mean when you say Goex is not "real" blackpowder.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Doegirl75

Well, I lucked out today. A decided on a hunch to visit a gunstore in my area to see if they knew where I could get real blackpowder. "Right here" the owner quipped. I plunked down my money and came home with a pound of Goex ffg and some 370 grain maxiballs. I just might have to see how my Encore likes black powder, it's certainly cheaper than triple 7.
You may end-up using 10 more grains of Goex for each inline load versus less with 777. That's no big deal unless you shoot every week.

You will also use up alot more patches cleaning that Goex versus 777.... that's no big deal either. I get my patches at Meijer -- 300 of the 3" square for $4.99

What you may not like is the outdoor & indoor smell of sulfur in that Goex.

I love the smell -- my wife & grown daughters hate it.

Quick Reply: First sidelock on it's way...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.