Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Weatherproofing a buckhorn >

Weatherproofing a buckhorn

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Weatherproofing a buckhorn

Old 12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default Weatherproofing a buckhorn

My little brother is getting his first muzzleloader for christmas. It is aCVA buckhorn( astrait cocking inline)My parents called me and asked what accessories they should get him.( I am the only muzzleloader hunter they know). Anyhow they brought up the question of hunting in foul weather and asked how to weatherproof the muzzleloader. I told them what I knew about how to cover the end of the barrel but I dont know what to do with the primer end of the barrel. Any sugestions would help.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Weatherproofing a buckhorn

Normally the 209 primer end will stay water resistant. You can take a simple piece of cling wrap and cover the open breech if you like. This will channel the water and moisture away from the breech. Some large finger cots will take care of the muzzle end.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Weatherproofing a buckhorn

I never thought of cling wrap. I did tell them about the finger cots. I mainly asked the Question because I dont want him to pull up and shoot at a deer and only hear a click. I dont think it will be a good first muzzleloader experence.