Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top) >

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 270’s, 270’s, 270’s…. I Think I’m Gonna Puke!

EKM---It's good to see you're alive & well!!! I can't believe you didn't acknowledge my post!!! <grin> --------------------------------------------ElkNut1
Old 03-26-2005, 09:57 PM
Dominant Buck

British Columbia World Record Grizzly
1988 Pope&Young

Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Dominant Buck

how big your gun?

Byron Christie
Wynniatte Bay
2003, Bow Hunt..Bear skull 25"

Old 03-26-2005, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not really to sure where your heading with that question ekm or if your going through mid life crisis or what? People come on here because they have a legitamate question in asking and some really don't know and thats why they ask. I never responded to that thread because I could see the hand writing on the wall a long time ago. You can only state your own experience here as well as I do mine and hope that you can help someone along the way, but thats where I end it. I"ll state my opinion on the subject and no matter whats said, someone has done it better, you ain't going to change there mind because thats the way they have always done it. I'm not going to waste my breathe in arguing with someone who doesn't know what the hell the're talking about, just because they happened to get a cow elk, that makes them an expert in the field of elk hunting. Give me a freakinbreak. [:@] Bobby
Old 03-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Rebel Hog,

I know someone told you that the 6.5 was a GREAT moose round in Sweeden, but you do realize that most of the harvest in Sweeden is calve moose don't you???

Have you ever actually seen an Alaskan moose? There was a young bull in my yard this morning, he was looking at me with a six foot dog ear fence between us. And he was probably just a two year old. Do you realize that one hind leg (not quarter) weights more than two of your average sized deer in Flordia????

As a final note, if and when you have a grizzly up close and personal, say right in your camp where you have your kill stashed and you have to run that bear off, let me know how it feels to have that 6.5 in your hands or if you wished you had that .340 Weatherby.

The .270 has probably killed enough elk in it's day, but there are better elk rounds there and if you can shoot them and afford them, it is an investment you probably wont regret.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:23 PM

I really enjoy reading your posts EKM I can always count on you to straight forward with what is on your mind and not worry about if someone will get upset with what you have to say. Keep it up I really enjoy reading these kind of posts.

Andy_o
Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: AlaskaMagnum

Rebel Hog,

I know someone told you that the 6.5 was a GREAT moose round in Sweeden, but you do realize that most of the harvest in Sweeden is calve moose don't you???

Have you ever actually seen an Alaskan moose? There was a young bull in my yard this morning, he was looking at me with a six foot dog ear fence between us. And he was probably just a two year old. Do you realize that one hind leg (not quarter) weights more than two of your average sized deer in Flordia????

As a final note, if and when you have a grizzly up close and personal, say right in your camp where you have your kill stashed and you have to run that bear off, let me know how it feels to have that 6.5 in your hands or if you wished you had that .340 Weatherby.

The .270 has probably killed enough elk in it's day, but there are better elk rounds there and if you can shoot them and afford them, it is an investment you probably wont regret.

IN 1959 I WAS STATIONED IN FAIRBANKS AND SEEN ESKIMOS KILL POLAR BEAR AND
MOOSE WITH 22-250. AS FOR BEING FROM FLA., I HAVE BEEN TO YOUR STATE MORE
TIMES THEN YOU HAVE BEEN TO MINE!
W.D.M. BELL KILLED OVER 1000 ELEPHANTS WITH 6.5x54 MANNLICHER AND 7x57MAUSER.
I HAVE HUNTED WATER BUFFALO IN THE PHILLIPINES WITH .303 ENFIELD.
THE .303 HAS KILLED MORE GAME IN ENGLAND,AFRICA AND CANADA THAN THE
30-30 IN THE USA.
IN 1995 IN ALBERTA I KILLED AN OLD LARGE BLACK BEAR WITH A WIN 94 CARBINE
.35REM.
I HAVE A 338BLR AND USE IT WHEN I WANT TOO.
UNTILL THEY MAKE IT A LAW IN WESTERN STATE'S THAT A HUNTER HAS TO USE
300MAG OR ABOVE, I'LL USE WHAT I PLEASE!
AS FOR PICTURES, MY PICTURE'S ARE OLDER THAN YOU. WHEN I GET A SCANNER I
WILL POST THEM JUST FOR YOU. IN THE MEAN TIME, IF YOU ARE NOT A HEMMOROID....
GET OFF MY BUTT!
Old 03-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Well if you have been here before and seen moose, why on earth would you want to use such a small caliber to kill one? Do you have something to prove? As for using a .22-250 for killing a polar bear.... as Chris Rock would say "I can drive a car with my feet, that doesn't make it a good idea". I am not overly worried about your health, I am concerned about the moose that gets hit poorly and runs into the muskeg never to be found. We are having enough problems with low populations of moose up here without guys trying to kill them with a pea shooter.
Old 03-27-2005, 12:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rebel, I know for a fact that EKM has no problem with bowhunters and has done nothing but praise them in the past. When done correctly even EKM will agree that broadheads are very deadly. If I was ever to shoot an elk with a rifle. (something I never plan do do) I would look at the 30-06 and above. I guess if you were to comapre me to EKM there would be some similarities as I like to shoot elk with at least a 500 grain arrow. That would be my comparison to a big bore bow. Penetration is a huge asset when it comes to heavy boned animals whether it be rifle or bow. I flip EKM some crap from time to time for fun but he is very knowledgible when it comes to rifles and big game. In 2007 I am planning a hunt to chase browns with a bow. You can bet that I will have somebody with something larger than a 22-250 sitting behind me.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:14 AM

The reason for my thinking is the .300 WSM is not available in the 700 Remington BDL SS. I like the fit and feel of the 700 Remington as I have and shot it in a .270. So by rechamering it I would have the caliber I want in the gun I want.

Quick Reply: REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.