Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top) >

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Old 03-26-2005, 10:21 AM

Default RE: 270’s, 270’s, 270’s…. I Think I’m Gonna Puke!

I am one of those "starry eyed" new to the sport of elk hunting that ELKAMPMASTER is speaking of. Just wanted to share that I have appreciated the exchanges by seasoned elk hunters like ELK. Much more so then opinions and ideas fueled by the "outdoor media" that writes and promotes products for almighty dollar and tells us novices what we want to hear or to buy. The fact be known that after posting some questions about the .270 I have come to the realization that it will be better to purchase a .30 caliber like the WSM and keep the .270 for deer season even though I have shot it very well and feel I could down a elk with it. But being a student of any sport I take up I want to evaluate all and every option for a clean kill harvest and maximise the enjoyment of the sport so I can keep coming back. No Elk I don't need your hunting spots, I will study the game and find my own. That is another part of the enjoyment of the outdoors for me.
Not the show up, shoot and show off mentally we see so much of today. So now I am considering purchasing a .700 300 Ultra Short mag
and have it rechambered to the .300 WSM as the shells for the 300 ultra short mag are too hard to find and are limited in bullet ranges.
Enough said, it was through posts like Elks that helped me through that decision. But let me leave with this thought, to you experienced seasoned elk hunters, you were once where we are now don't lose sight of that. I am not looking for justification to save a few dollars and use the .270, instead information on what might be more effective. So to you elk hunting experts a big thanks, and hope you never stop learning.
Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 AM

.270 [:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]
Old 03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Does this mean I shouldn't use my 260 Rem deerslayer for Elk this fall??????
Hee.....hee.........hee!

Hey EKM.........you sure are started to sound like a crusty old fart!!!
I like it! On a more serious note, I took your advice (and several other old crusty farts on this site) on my 338UM with the factory installed muzzle brake. I had my local gunsmith make me a thread cap so that I don't ruin the hearing that I have left. I am 41 years old and been shooting/hunting since I could walk. My hearing has sure detoriated over the years would like to keep what I have left. I am however having a nice kick pad installed. I admit that shooting it on the range without one did make me feel somewhat manly, my bad shoulder (baseball) said to do it or else. My brother killed his bull last year with this gun. Like I have always contended, like most of us when caught up in the thrill of the hunt, be it deer, Elk, Birds etc., we never notice the kick. He could not remember recall the recoil at all, seems that big boy breathing at him in the morning dawn at about 75 yards made him sort of punchy!!! But he did remember that it seemed like several minutes before he could hear clearly again!!!

Thanks for all the hunting tips and more so for the camping tips!!!
Can't wait to post some new pics of our "modified" tents this time around. One of our guys has determined he gets a little panicky in dark tight places, so we installed skylights and windows in our heavy tarp tents!!!

See ya in the woods....
Old 03-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

So I guess you don't approve of the muzzle loading or archery hunters out there as well. Sounds to me like you've crushed too many beer cans on your forehead. I don't need to ask if a 270 will "do" the job. I know it will in spades (dead moose twice the size of elk) tell no lies in the frying pan. My guess is you're stuck on the magnum mentality because of your incessant hope that they will make up for your poor shot placement.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:05 PM

I agree a 270 is not the best choice of rifle for Elk, but I'd rather see someone use a 270 competantly than a high powered magnum incompetantly.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

Easy now boys........

Not sure what EKM believes about all things hunting, but I know that what he says makes perfect sense to this ole country boy!!!

If I am lucky enough to get drawn for the season we put in for, then I have 5 days in order to do my best at filling my tag. Now don't know about you guys, but the money, time and hard work we put in throughout the year is all intended to make that week a great week!!! Understanding that a sucessful hunt for my group is not all about what we kill, sure would stick in my craw if I had a nice shot at a good bull.......but I was never able to get closer than 350 yards to him!

We are all just a bunch of Texas hunters, but we are upgrading our deer guns as fast as is feasable. I know my limitations and that of my gun. I could kill an elk with my 260 under those optimal circumstances. Heck, I am confident I could kill one with a sharp stick, given the opportunity!!! Since optimal doesn't always visit our camp........I am going to listen to the side of my brain that houses the common sense and see if I can't tip the odds, at least the ones I can control!!

Just applied for my elk tag over the internet .........got me feeling all swollen around the neck and tarsal glands are getting a wee bit dark.........look out honey, here I come!!!
Old 03-26-2005, 06:44 PM

I think he believes the size of his gun, affects the amount of testosterone he exudes in the presence of females. Him and his buddies can believe it if they want to, but to tell people who know better that they are wrong is just plain stupid.[:-]
Old 03-26-2005, 07:33 PM

i also don't think a 270 should be used for elk

So now I am considering purchasing a .700 300 Ultra Short mag
and have it rechambered to the .300 WSM
just a quick question: why not just buy a 300wsm to beging with then you won't need it to be rechambered
Old 03-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Dominant Buck

How big of a caliber for elk?

Met Davis and his daughter Melissa were Polar Bear hunting
March 3rd, 2002. Holman Island,BC
They are in the register book with this outfitter.
Guide: David Kuptana
The Polar Bear stood 8ft at 12ft away.
She shot it dead in his tracks with a .222

Old 03-26-2005, 09:28 PM

Sigh,

Huntaway,
Son, you're sure doing a lot of guessing....

"....So I guess you don't approve of the muzzle loading or archery...."
"....My guess is you're stuck on the magnum mentality because of your incessant hope that they will make up for your poor shot placement. ...."
On the first, since I've been around a while, I let other third parties tell you whether or not I'm down on muzzleloading and/or archery.... 'fraid you're gonna get burned bad on that one.

On the second, two points here, first I like all sorts of firearms and in the rifle department they range from 22LR on up to 458Lott and I've got most the intermediate stops covered, hunted with 'em all (except the Lott, it’s new).... including the 270 (my teenage rifle).... some of my favorites are actually the non-magnums. In any case, I do like to see cartridges well matched to the game. On the second regarding shot placement I will say I try my level best to put them right into the boiler room however I will admit I'm human when I'm out in the field (unlike all the national match tournament champions one finds on the Internet ---- some of them right here apparently) and not every round I've ever fired at game in my life has went exactly where I wanted to ---- I sure you'll make a big deal about that, but that is the real world, not fantasy. Play the game long enough and crap will happen.

Since you're new, how about filling me in (and everyone else too).... so what do you shoot other than your 270, no shotguns or pistols please just so we all have some idea what your range of rifle experience is ---- what is your range of experience with firearms you've owned and used?

=================

Ah, Mr. Slamfire,
"....I think he believes the size of his gun, affects the amount of testosterone he exudes in the presence of females...."
Tsk, tsk.... Honestly I've never had any complaints about the size of my gun or my testosterone. I really hope you are not expressing an interest ---- this is really not the place for such talk. I know a lady who uses a 375h&H, surely you wouldn't be coining that kind of crap for others just because they have violated your sense of proper rifle size.

"...but to tell people who know better that they are wrong is just plain stupid...."
It appears that you are a bit upset about this, hopefully it will help if I point out that actually this thread was not intended for you. It was addressed to the folks I know on this forum that use a wide variety of rifles and have settled on ones that are a bit more robust than the ole 270 --- the same ones I've been watching trying to give "y'all" some sound advice only to have it fall on deaf ears or in many cases thrown right back in their face.

Remember the, "Don't try to teach a pig to sing, it sounds like hell and irritates the pig!"? I didn't tell them or you that "y'all" was wrong, I just suggested they stop trying to talk with "y'all" about it, keep it to themselves and let "y'all" do whatever it is that you do.

Lot's of howling and whining about it, that's okay, you're not gonna change, we're not gonna change. Just remember it's NOT INTENDED FOR YOU.

Quick Reply: REFERENCE: 270's & Elk... Think I'm Gonna Puke! (Index On Pg 1-Top)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.