Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 "break-up" orange vest in Montana question >

"break-up" orange vest in Montana question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"break-up" orange vest in Montana question

Old 03-14-2005, 05:56 PM

Default RE: "break-up" orange vest in Montana question

ORIGINAL: Pace Maker

Well, I called the Montana fish and game dept. The woman I spoke with there seemed very confused when I asked the question about the vest. She said at first she didn't know, and then later told me that it had to be solid. Further into the conversation she described to me what an orange vest was! She acutually said to me that an orange vest was "a vest you wear over your clothes, They come in different sizes, some are small and only go part way down your sides and some go all the way to your hips." If I don't know that, I better not be allowed to carry a gun! Not the definitive answer I was looking for. I'll try emailing them and see what I get for an answer.
Geez, I'm sorry about that, after I advised you to phone these "reliable" people. Kinda like when you recommend a friend to a job and he turns out to be a lazy slob. All I can say is they have always been helpful and knowledgable on the phone with me.

She is right though, vests are meant to be worn over your clothes. My son had one on under his jacket and I couldn't see it at all, even with binoculars. And they do come in various sizes. I bought a larger one for me and smaller ones for my sons. I could tell we needed different sizes because when we stand next to each other, I need to look down to see their faces. Purty smart of me, huh? Didn't you know this?
Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 PM

Just my 2 cents here, but what is the purpose of a camo orange vest? I have seen several of these out in the field here and you cannot see them near as well as a solid orange. I would worry much more about a hunter not seeing you, than the possibilty of you being seen by a animal with solid orange. Be safe, wear solid orange, the animals could careless if you have camo or solid, they see movement no matter what you wear.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 PM

Good question and good point. I bought my vest a few years ago, thinking that, since deer can't see color, what a great idea to break up my outline. In fact, it should work so well that I should be able to use the same vest for bow season, right? For me a vest doubles as a day pack.

Since that time, I have joined this forum called Hunting Net, where these guys type in questions and share advice. There have been several threads on the subject and I have now been convinced that the camo doesn't help. But the vest isn't worn out and I still use it. It's well over 400 sq in. I have seen other hunters just fine in them. Maybe I look more carefully than the norm. The orange camo grabs my eye better that some of the slinky bare minimum torn and faded vests I have seen.

You may have a point. I will try it on my sons before season and look again. I do believe in safety.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:57 AM

Here is the reply from Montana FWP on the email I sent asking about the break-up orange vest.
"Sounds like you will have plenty of hunter orange on. Good luck on your hunting trip!"
Again, not a definitive yes or no answer, but I guess it's legal.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pace Maker,
The requierment is 400 sq. in. of hunter orange(fluorescent)material above the waste visible at all times.
That means the break-up orange will work,it is made of flouresent orange and is consisting of more than 400 sq. in.

I wear a solid orange vest/shirt.It has never hindered me from getting my game.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wish we could wear the blaze orange camo here in CO!