Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 "break-up" orange vest in Montana question >

"break-up" orange vest in Montana question

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

"break-up" orange vest in Montana question

Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 PM

Default "break-up" orange vest in Montana question

I searched the Montana State site for information on whether or not hunter orange had to be a solid vest or could a break-up pattern be worn, but it just said 400ci. I'm assuming as long as it's 400ci any pattern is fine. But I know in some states it has to be solid. Any info on this? Thanks.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: "break-up" orange vest in Montana question

the break up pattern is legal.

Nemont
Old 03-12-2005, 04:50 PM

Good question, Nemont's right. I wear one in Montana and see lots of them. Even though I know we're right, if you're travelling that far I wouldn't take anyone's word for it. Call the Montana FWP. Their phone numbers are on their Montana FWP website.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Camo break up is fine as long as its 400" of flurosecent orange thats in it. Thats only an area 10"x40". If your in doubt that you don't have at least 400" than stick a cap on. I would really like to see a game warden out there with a tape measure and try measuring all the flur. camo break up pattern. If you make attempt to try to be seen is the most important and also don't forget if your wearing your fluroscent orange and then throw your back pack on, then you don't have 400" of visible orange. During gun season I would wear it out here even if it wasn't required. I think what happened in Idaho last year, it may be required there by next year. Bobby
Old 03-12-2005, 11:20 PM

ORIGINAL: 121553

I think what happened in Idaho last year, it may be required there by next year. Bobby
I guess I am or was out of touch, what happened in Idaho?
Old 03-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jones, I'm not sure of all the details but a hunter was mistaken for an animal and killed in the panhandle. He wasn't wearing any orange but its not required there either. It didn't happen very far from here and thats why it made the news. Maybe some homeboys from Idaho know a little bit more? Sorry. Bobby
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

Pacemaker, I've only hunted out there twice thus far but I had that same question so I called the fish and game department. I was told it must be solid orange and not camo orange. Here is what it states in the regs for 2005 and it didn't say anything about camo orange being OK. It only designated it as "Florescent".

Firearm Hunters: Any person hunting or accompanying a
hunter as an outfitter or guide must wear a minimum of 400
square inches of hunter orange (fluorescent) material above
the waist, visible at all times (see exception below).
Old 03-14-2005, 03:41 PM

Well, I called the Montana fish and game dept. The woman I spoke with there seemed very confused when I asked the question about the vest. She said at first she didn't know, and then later told me that it had to be solid. Further into the conversation she described to me what an orange vest was! She acutually said to me that an orange vest was "a vest you wear over your clothes, They come in different sizes, some are small and only go part way down your sides and some go all the way to your hips." If I don't know that, I better not be allowed to carry a gun! Not the definitive answer I was looking for. I'll try emailing them and see what I get for an answer.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Pacemaker,

I have used the breakup pattern for about the last ten years. I have hunted with guys from the FWP who wear the same thing. I have been checked in the field and at game check stations without a problem. What region are you hunting? I would call that regions HQ and asked to talk directly to a warden or to the Warden Captain.

Just my 2 cents.

Nemont
Old 03-14-2005, 05:16 PM

Here is the Montana law...

Hunter Orange Requirement – Any person hunting or accompanying hunters (including outfitters and guides) must wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange (fluorescent) material above the waist visible at all times.
The way I have seen the Montana Orange Rule interpreted is any form of orange, camo or solid, that is visible from ALL sides.

Wyoming is the same rule but they specify that orange camo patterns are ok.

Quick Reply: "break-up" orange vest in Montana question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.