Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk hunting sleeping bag

Old 01-26-2005, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Elk hunting sleeping bag

Alsatian,
Any of the brands mentioned above are OK. I use North Face. I would go for a 0* bag or better if you get hot you can always open up. If you expect it to get to 0* take a small fleece throw and stuff it inside your bag the weight is not noticeable. Don't buy a bag with a tapered or flat end (foot end). Buy one that has a box type end. This will not only be less restrictive but also helps keep your feet warmer!!!
Also a sleeping pad is a MUST!!!! Even a thin one like RidgeRest /ThermaRest that weigh nothing.It will keep an amazing amount of cold air from the ground off of YOU!!!!
GLOB
Old 01-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

A lot of good advice from many folks here especially those that suggested including a good sleeping pad. Also the suggestion about not using the mummy type bags is great for added comfort. The biggest question is, how much do you have to invest in it???
I would not advise buying from Cabelas or any other store. Do a little research, find the bag you want and then get it on the internet and save probably 50% or more. My wife is a fanatic about shopping on the net and has found some fantastic buys on the best products available.
Old 01-27-2005, 06:29 AM

One of the trick I have learned is about 30 minutes before turning in for the night, heat a pot of water and pour it into a 32 ounce HDPE Nalgene bottle. Throw that in your sleeping bag and it will help to take the chill off when you climb into it.

If water is an issue in camp...you can use it as your drinking water the next day.

Regards,
Steve
Old 01-27-2005, 07:12 AM

TX points out 4 pounds and 0 degrees- you can get that in synthetic from Wiggys. DOn't have to worry about down that way. Ours compress very well and its a super company and look into the FRTSS(Ithink thats what its called) system. 2 bags in one and very versatile. Can seperate and use the light one for down to 30-40 and double up and be good to -20 with the correct bag and not over 4.5 pounds IIRC. They are Mummy bags but my feet never get cold in them.

And I used to crawl in with lots of clothes on till I learned you are better to sleep with less on, you'll be warmer. No matter how dumb it sounds.

www.wiggys.com

I think.

Jeff
Old 01-27-2005, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. A lot of good information.

I do use a RidgeRest pad beneath my sleeping bag. Of course, the weight of your body compresses the sleeping bag fill and reduces the insulating properties of the bag towards the ground. Additionally, I would guess the ground tends to drain heat off the body better than the air does, which is another reason for the thermal pad beneath the sleeping bag. I don't wear clothes in my sleeping bag. I have not resorted to this in the past, as I was always comfortable without this trick, but it would seem that wearing a warm head covering -- such as a polypropolyne (SP?) balaclava -- might help to keep one warm under marginal situations (very cold weather pushing the limits of one's sleeping bag. I find that keeping my head warm is an important component of keeping warm outside, while hunting.

My hunting trip might happen in 2005 but is more likely to take place in 2006. My plan is to collect my gear leisurely, and this sleeping bag is one of those items. Having backpacked in the past, I have a good sleeping bag -- but not a bag suitable for mid to late October camping at 11,500'. I will be upgrading some of my other equipment, also, with an eye towards the special requirements of my trip -- such as a backpack for packing in and out that additionally is suitable to packing out substantial quantities of meat. My current backpack wasn't designed for this application, though it might serve the purpose.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I seem to have heard that Wiggys claims it doens't lose its loft as fast as other synthetics. Don't have any first hand knowledge about that though. Personally, I have a 0 bag from Sierra designs with polorguard 3D. I have had it for 5 years and the loft is still ok, but I only use it once a year, and it hangs in my closet otherwise. I also don't compress it until we are in the act of packing in.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:29 AM

Alsatian

I use a headcover also as it gets towards zero. At times below that I sometimes kinda lay a coat loosely over my head to form a kind of tent. That helps to.

On the backpack-- before you do anything you need to see an Eberlestock Just One backpack. Designed by a former US Olympic Biathlete thats an elk hunter. I don't know of any single better hunting pack period. Goes from small to large and in between. And quite a few perfect accessories.

Jeff
Old 01-30-2005, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

WIGGY’S GUARANTEE: Our Guarantee is for a lifetime of use. If a seam opens, the zipper breaks or the Lamilite insulation deteriorates (such as losing its loft or separating, clumping in one place or another), Wiggy’s will repair or replace your bag at no charge to you.

Ive had my wiggys for 5 years now and have had no problems with it.

Don