Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag?

Old 08-25-2004, 11:39 AM

Default Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag?

This probably isn't the place to post this question but I couldn't figure out a better place. Anyway, I am in the market for a new sleeping bag for my fall elk hunts. Here is the regular scenario; I pack in by horse so space is a concern. The weather can be very mild(40's and 50's) at night or it can be down right witchy. We sleep in a wall tent the majority of the time, but I would like to get a bag that is compact enough for packing on a horse, but also in case I decide to "coyote" out during the hunt. I would like to keep my expenditure within $150 if possible, but willing to go a tad more if I have to. What experience do you all have with bags and what would you suggest?

Thanks for your input on this.

By the way I am 6'3" and about 240 lbs.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag?

I have a Sierra Designs "0" rated polarguard 3-D bag that I use for such hunts. It works well. I think you should go no higher than 20 degrees and that may be too light on some cold nights. I think that the next bag I buy will be a down one though. Polarguard is great insulation that keeps you warm even if it gets wet (unlike down), however, you have to be VERY careful to keep it UNCOMPRESSED 99% of the time. If you forget and leave it in the stuff sack for a week several times, it tends to lose its loft. Down will bounce back. So you still have the problem of down getting wet. The newer models have a DWR finish that should shed some water, although they are not waterproof. You could carry it in a water proof bag for transit. They also make goretex type models, but they are REAL proud of those price wise.

Remember that this is an investment that will pay dividinds for many years in the future, so you may have to stretch that budget a might. One cold night on the mountain and you would pay any amout of money to be warm, so don't skimp. Two things I won't tolerate on a hunt: Sleeping cold and wearing cheap boots. Been there, done that and spent some miserable time in the mountains.

I have found several good deals on places like campmor.com. These are usually "seconds" due to stitching variations, etc, but I have never had a problem with anything I have bought from them.

Buy quality, and you should be set for the next 10 years at least.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM

I agree with TXhunter, don't skimp on your bag or your boots. Both will cause you to hate life. The first year I went, I carried a bag rated (?) for 20 degrees. They must have meant 20 outside when you were curled up next to the warm stove inside. I've never been so cold in my life. I came home and ordered the best bag I could get and have never looked back. Remember, you can always unzip your bag to cool off but, it you don't have enough bag, nothing helps. Cabelas has some terrific bags in the $200-250 price range that will work super. Good luck and think warm!
Old 08-25-2004, 02:41 PM

A good bag in that price range would be the North Face Cats Meow, I think they make a 10 degree in it, maybe even lower. They are usually between $150-180. At your size, cut is going to be important so a modified mummy may work depending on the bag. If you can, go to a store and lay down in some bags, zip 'em up, try them on so to speak.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This one looks interesting:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

However, the Sierra Designs sight calls the Drizone a "highly water resistant" lining, not a waterproof lining.
Old 08-25-2004, 08:52 PM

check the bags that www.wiggy's.com has they are excellent bags and the longer bags are
the same price as regular.The military also uses them

hope this helps
Old 08-25-2004, 08:55 PM

sorry it should be www.wiggys.com
Old 08-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

As Texhunter suggested, go to www.campmor.com , and check out their bags. I own a "Slumberjack Kodiak" which is 7 Bags in one it ran me $300.00. The "Kodiak" has a -40 degree rating, and I have never been cold in it (I purchased the Kodiak from "Cabelas"). In my Fall 2004 "Campmor" cataloge they have three "Slumberjack Bags" that are rated at -20 degrees for under $150.00. I owned a "Slumberjack Quallofil" bag rated at -30 degrees, and it was a excellent bag I purchased from "Campmor" (I never was cold in that bag either). Good luck.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:40 AM

Anybody know anything about the Kelty Thru-Hiker series of bags?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know anything about that particular series, but everyone I know that has Kelty products seems to be pleased with them.

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Sleeping Bag?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.