Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!! >

Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Old 12-22-2004, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

That was one nice buck. I bet your son was proud. But not as proud as you probably were. I remember the first buck that I took with the bow. I had killed several with the gun already. I had been seeing many bucks in this old abandoned apple orchard. I had several close calls before I got a shot. I knew that I had to get into the tree. I grunted a small white-tail spike buck in. I had my shot. When I shot the deer dropped in his tracks. I was yelling so loud that my partner came running though the woods. He thought that I fell out of the tree. I literally threw my bow out of the tree into a bush and darn near fell out of the tree. When all was said and done and I was back at the house with my deer. I then realized that I had left my knife , eye-glasses, grunt tube and several items in the woods. I found my glasses and knife when I returned to the site however never did find the other items. It was a great day indeed.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 AM

Elknut, That is a big, big, buck, I don't even see how your boy was able to get his bow pulled back, let alone shoot!!! Well Done!!!!!!

This story reminds me when my boy tagged his first buck. Took my boy deer hunting and his uncle said he wanted to come along to help my boy get a deer. We hunted all morning long and it was getting well into the afternoon. We decided to head back to the truck. On our way back we literally walked right up to this little buck, he was standing no more than 20 yards from us. I told my boy to go ahead and take him. He raised his rifle, and from the corner of my eye I could see my boys uncle raising his rifle, I was waving my hand for him not to shoot, but the sound of thunder roared out of his rifle and the deer took off on a full out sprint, then uncle also took off and he fell completely head over heels with his cowboy hat went one way and his rifle the other way. He got up gathered his thoughts, looked back at us and yelled for us to get his hat and he took off running after the deer. I looked at my boy and he was in total shock at what took place here, he even had tears in his eyes, I patted him on the back and said I'll see if I can track the deer. I followed the tracks and they veered down this draw to the left, I went down the draw and Lord and behold there stood that buck and he was feeding on some brush, by then uncle showed up and I said the buck is right in front of me about 25 yards, I seen uncle raise his rifle and I grabbed the barrel of the gun and said this is my sons deer and he is going to shoot this deer, uncle said well the deer is getting ready to run, and I said I don't think he is going to run he is just standing there feeding, by then I seen my boy coming down the draw, I wave him over and point to him where the buck is, my boy knelt down and took a steady aim and fired his rifle and made a beauty of a shot, the buck folded up, my boy and I exchanged hugs, he just bagged his first buck at 14 years old. What a memory, at first things went all wrong but we hung in there and my boy come out on top with a buck. I guess buck fever can really cause people too just go completely berserk!!! []
Old 12-23-2004, 07:42 AM
Typical Buck

Elkcrazy8---You sure you didn't fall out of that tree on your noggin and make that story up???? That's great!! What the heck happened to the rest of your stuff???

Robinhood36---That's almost a strange story, hard to believe an uncle would stoop to that. Glad to see the boy got to tag HIS buck!
Too, I've thought about that exact statement you made about my son keeping his composure under fire there, I was amazed!! But after hunting with him for years now, I'm not surprised anymore. He has a sense of calming in tight situations as this, he just doesn't get rattled. It sounds like bragging but it's not! I've hunted with tons of guys over the years and I've never seen this in anyone else, he's like that before the shot and after the shot. Thanks!!

gselkhunter---My son may be one of those type of guys you don't want to call against!! <grin> Who Knows??? ElkNut1
Old 12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

robinhood36, I am glad that the boy outshot his uncle. I remember you telling me that story. What a creep.