Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!! >

Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Old 12-21-2004, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Default Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Here's a picture of my son when he was 12 years old. (He's now 26) He took this buck with a 40lb draw wt. And a bear-razorhead!

Short story---I had spotted this buck. (no binos (grin)) He was bedded on a small hillside behind a pretty big log, all I could see was the tips of his horns at about 100yds away. I told my son I was going to get him as close as possible and set him up and then go around the back of the deer to slowly push the buck towards him,. I didn't want to spook him into running though!

So I had him take off his shoes, (slight discussion there)so we could sneak as close as possible. I got my son to about 45yds of this deer on the down-hill side and positioned him directly under the buck in a small draw. He could not see the deer at all but could see the log.

I then snuck back out of there after giving him some pointers as what to do if!!!!! It took me 35min. to get around the buck and then locate his position. I spotted him at about 50yds, again only the tips could be seen. I did not walk at him but instead I kinda parelled him and gave a couple soft cow calls, never stopping to make him nervous. The darn thing wouldn't get up, he just followed me, I turned around and went by him again this time making a little more noise, it must have been too much!!!! It jumped up & bolted, I said crap!!

Then I said to myself, wait a minute!! That darn thing is running right at the boy, I do mean right at him! All of a sudden I saw the buck put the skids on and jump high into the air, he makes an about face and is outa there, I don't see my son at all and I'm wondering what the heck happened. As I watch the buck run I think Holy Cow that things huge!!! I had no idea he was that big. Then I see an arrow fletching hanging out of him as he runs away. I'm thinking, no way!!! Everything I just wrote took place in a matter of seconds. I was totally dumfounded.

I ran down to where my son was, after watching where the deer went, and said what happened!!!

He tells me this buck is running staight at him, he has an arrow nocked but not drawn, and this deer is going to run right over him, so he ducks down and the deer sees him move and puts the brakes on, well when he did my son rose on his knees and drew and released and shot the buck at about 6' or 7' away, the deer went 150yds and was down. Man what a hunt and a great memory for the both of us!!! ElkNut-1

How about it guys!! What kind of hunts have you built memories around??

Old 12-21-2004, 07:11 PM

Default RE: Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

great story , i was getting pumped reading it , Nice Deer too !
Old 12-21-2004, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for posting the great story & picture. That is a heck of a buck.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:46 PM

sweet you got to love those velvet bucks
Old 12-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations!!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Holy crap that is a big buck! I have never taken a buck that big, with any weapon! Has you son ever killed a bigger buck than that with a bow? A friend that I took elk bow hunting with me in 2000 killed a big 4x4 buck (29" outside spread) with his bow. It was his first bow kill. The funny thing is the buck was feeding in some high sagebrush and my friend couldn't see how big it was or how many points it had. He told me he thought it was only a small 2, or maybe a 3 point at most. But my friend wanted to kill any buck so he was happy trying to shoot this buck. When the arrow buzzed through the buck, he bolted, then my friend saw what he had realy shot. Lucky dog, the buck only ran 75 yards. I will dig up a pick and post it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 AM
Typical Buck

You can take all the big animals you want and it will never feel like that. There is just something about having your kids do well that hits you right in the heart. Great story Paul, just the kind I love.
Gselkhunter
Old 12-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Typical Buck

Great Response guys! THanks a lot!! Let's see and hear some stories that are close to your heart!!

Idahoelkinstructor----No, he hasn't taken a bigger buck with either a bow or rifle. I can remember the day he got it, several folks said I sure hope that don't ruin him cause it'll be hard to top!! Well he's never tried to top it, but has taken a buck I belive every year since, most of them with a bow---That buck was truly special though, it was 30-1/2" wide and grossed 186 and netted 177-2/8 it's in the VelVet catergory in P&Y, it was on the first page several years ago at #-58 all time. I wonder where it is now?? ---Thanks for your story Jason!!
ElkNut1
Old 12-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Memories, huh? How about my first deer? Every time I tell this story people think I'm the biggest liar they ever saw. Maybe I am, but this story is 100% true.

I hunted five years before I found a deer silly enough for me to tag. This little forkie whitetail just stood and stared at me from 25 yards away. I upped my rifle and fired - miss! I bolted in the next round and that buck never moved, other than to bob his head as the bullet whizzed past. I fired again - another miss, another head bob, buck's still just standing there. I jacked in the next round and fired - killed him dead, broke his neck aiming behind his shoulder. (I didn't do much shooting in those days.)

So now I gotta dress this deer. He's laying in a mess of brush, so I need to snake him out into the open to get at him. I layed my rifle down and reached down to grab a hind leg. When I touched that leg it triggered a reflexive kicking response. POWWWWW! He caught me flush in the family jewels, and I mean flush! Now I'm rolling around on the ground in agony. As the agony fades to merely excruciating I start praying please Lord don't let another hunter come along now, this could be hard to explain. Nobody came along, the pain faded in a few minutes, and I stood up loaded in round number four and made darn sure that sucker was dead. Shot him in the head, I did. Served him right, too. To this day though, I think he got the last laugh.

I was a teenager then, and full of testosterone. So, it took me a while to get around to telling the true story of my deer.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:22 PM
Typical Buck

Dirt2---I had the exact thing happen to me on my first deer!!! Just Kidding!

That's a heck of a story you got there, almost believable!!! I wish I would've been the guy walking by that you didn't want to see that day, with a video camera!! LOL---Thanks!ElkNut1

Quick Reply: Building Memories--Deer ! Not Elk!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.