Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 First MZ deer hunt...nice memories but no steaks! >

First MZ deer hunt...nice memories but no steaks!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

First MZ deer hunt...nice memories but no steaks!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Fork Horn

Default First MZ deer hunt...nice memories but no steaks!

I just finished my first weekend of MZ hunting in TN...had a wonderful time. The two things that will forever stick out in my mind are 1. the amount of ribbing I took for cleaning my gun every night and 2. the big buck that got away.

1. Just as many had warned via this site, I got harrassed for cleaning my gun every night. The funny part to me was inspecting the MZ'er of an old timer that insisted he cleaned his gun once a year regardless of whether it was needed or not. I tell you, after I gave it a thorough cleaning, there were more pits and indentions in his barrel than I could shake a stick at. Also, he wanted me to order him a new scope because his current scope wouldn't "group". He claims the scope is why he keeps missing deer.

2. To keep it short, I saw many, many deer this weekend. In fact, I had the crosshairs on a doe for about 5 minutes Friday afternoon before making it to the stand. I didn't shoot because I couldn't resist waiting to see what appeared that evening (nothing unfortunately). Sat. morning I was on the ground just below a ridge top (heavily wooded) looking down the slope...wind in my face. When all of a sudden a deer crests the ridge top coming down hill fast. The deer stopped not 5 yards from me (just behind and to the right) when I turned my head to see exactly what it was (I had remained still hoping it would pass by and I would shoot it as it quartered downhill). Well, to my surprise, it was either a really big 8 pt or small 10...starring right at me...I mean 5 yds away (I was kind scared to tell the truth). The second our eyes met he bolted right, heading away side-hill, I gathered him in my scope (set to 3x) but had nothing but rear. About 15 yds later he took a hard left heading down the hill, I put the crosshairs on his body (I would love to say shoulder but it was simply happening too fast for that) and squeezed the trigger. Smoke went every where and I saw the buck progressing down the hill...tail tucked tight. So I thought perhaps I hit them due to the tail, but thought it was weird he didn't get knocked over....I mean he was 20 yds away. After inspection I realized the bullet had hit not one but two trees. I was shooting a 250 SW over 120 gr of T-7. The first tree was about an inch in diameter and the entrance and exit holes were a perfect 45 cal. The second tree was about 3 inches in diameter and had a 45 cal entrance hole and a massive exit hole. I had no idea the bullet would take so much before expanding.

After that I passed a couple of doe and a 4 pt. Sunday morning (same ridge) hoping the big boy would make another mistake. Oh well, at least I was hunting.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: First MZ deer hunt...nice memories but no steaks!

I shot a nice 4" gum once with my 25-06 and a Barnes 100 grain X-Bullet. Tree died - buck didn't. You always remember those shots, even more clearly than the kills.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Truth be told, many of us have killed a tree or two. I've taggeda fewSpruce and Balsam myself.

Better luck next time and stick with it. As for the person that does not clean their muzzleloader, you got a first hand look at what happens when that happens.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

I get the same old harassement as well on cleaning my muzzy when they all use their shotguns and centerfires. It's all in good fun and we soon forget about it after returning from the local tavern
If that gun is dirty and you miss a big one you'll never let it down so have a clean gun and chalk it up to a clean miss. As far as trees I've tagged oaks, cedar and dogwoods. It is amazing once you find your tree to see what a muzzy can do. Remember big misses means big deer next year.