Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Would you be disappointed? >

Would you be disappointed?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Would you be disappointed?

Old 03-19-2004, 08:38 AM

Default Would you be disappointed?

ELKampMaster's thread got me thinking. To comment on his post for one second, I think that the majority of people would pick a hunt that they don't have the opportunity to do right out in their back yard. For example...I think that the reason for people to pick let's say moose, is because the majority of us don't live in Alaska where probably the biggest ones are and can't probably ever afford that type of hunt. Your most likely going to pick a hunt that you haven't or will never have an opportunity to go on. Just my thoughts.

Ok, now to my point. I would guess(because I don't know many of you) that a lot of you guys are used to hunting in the mountains, huge valleys, calling game from a very long distance, putting the stalk on game 2 miles away, maybe a little longer distance shooting senarios, used to a very large tracts of land to hunt without seeing another person for days etc.... type of hunting. I'm assuming these really only because this is the Biggamehunting site. LOL Me and many others? Are used to hunting 3-40 acre parcels of land/woods where you hear cars driving by, dogs barking, only can deer hunt with a shotgun, shooting distances of 10-maybe 100 yards, running into other hunters quite often and sometimes people talking(I bow hunt next to a golf course). Now here's the kicker......What if we took the the 1st type of hunters and transplanted them with the 2nd type of hunters for a couple seasons or for life?? Huh? Who would be more disappointed or maybe more discouraged in the different types of hunting? What do you think? I just wanted to toss this out into the camp fire discussion. And to throw out maybe a different spin on hunting and hunting practices as a whole. Or maybe I'm "on" something too...Who knows?
Old 03-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you be disappointed?

Stump I have it both way here. Some areas I hunt the only hunter you may see is at a gas station in town, check station or travelling down a main gravel road. While other areas it is a sea of hunters, farm activity and yet still a couple archery areas I hunt are in acreage property where both cars, people and dogs can be heard and seen during the entire time hunting. While each have their benefit and challenges, I much prefer the remote tranquility of hunting an area where myself and only my hunting party are around. It just seems more relaxing, less worry and REAL. The first time I field dressed a deer with a dog lurking from a near by property wasn't my most prized moment is all I am saying. I love hunting in all aspects and it is relaxing but the distant rumble of the race track(life) doesn't quite give me the same feeling of wood stove heat and nothing but nature sounds filling the air. Unfortunately we must work and for most of us that means in bigger centres where the remoteness and time are ill afforded..but if I had to choose I would say give me a home where the Buffalo roam and so on...off in nature!

As too how would those who only hunt remotely do, well I would think it would be a shock but we are for the most part adaptable as humans and progressive...best guess we would do like you, I and others make the best of the opportunity that presents itself!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:13 AM

Skeeter,

I think it would be safe to say that every hunter would absolutely love to hunt land as they say "where the Buffalo roam". That would be awesome!! Land that has been "untouched" by nothing other than nature itself. Where animals have never seen anyone before. I'd like to experience that type of hunting sometime in my life. Don't think it would ever happen, but there's always hope. Urban sprawl has been hitting my/our hunting land since I was a kid and beyond. I wish there is something that could be done about it. But unless you have some big time $$, there's nothing you can other than watch what used to be a good deer woods...whacked and watch 20 houses being built where it once stood. Hunting around houses, IMO, doesn't really take away anything about "hunting" from me. Of course, that's really the only hunting I know. But those city folk don't really get going until around 9:00 on Saturday mornings and by then, I've had a solid 3-4 nice quiet hours in my stand. LOL Although it does open up some hunting opportunities. City folk move down and think ohhhh all those deer and turkeys are cute and they love having them around. That's what they moved down there for. And then when the deer starting taking out all of those lovely flowers and everything in the garden, the wife wants them gone. And that's where I come in. I usually wait a year or two after they have moved in and then start asking for permission. LOL

Good hunting...
Old 03-19-2004, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've lived and hunted in Virginia, Florida, Alabama, and Colorado. I would have to honestly say that I would be completely disapointed if I had to live and hunt in the East and only hunt whitetail deer. Not that whitetails are not a formitable animal to hunt because they are. They just don't hold the same kind of mystique to me that elk do. I also feel pretty claustrophobic when I get back East due to not being able to see through all of those dang trees. Mosquitoes, noseeums, fire ants, 90% humidity, terrential rain all add to the dissapointment factor.

If I had to live back East I would want it to be somewhere in the mountains. Like Tennesee, Kentucky, West Virginia, or far North East like Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:04 PM

Stump,

I'd join the local shooting range to keep my hand in with the rifles.
I'd join the local country club and learn how to play golf.
I'd bank my coin in the mean time for going out of state for hunt even if it was only once every 1,2,3 or 4 years.

------------------------------------
Grew up on a ranch in Nebraska and our goal during deer season was to have our 3 or 4 deer shot the opening morning (Saturday) and then go pheasant hunting in the afternoon Saturday after we checked the deer in and then hung them up in my partner's garage. The following Sunday was for goose hunting and we always felt we were having a bad season if we had to still be hunting deer after the opening day. Had both mulies and white tail. Same pattern of behavior -- run 125 yards turn broadside and look -- bang, plop, done.

Got boring after a while, still did it because my partner and his family loved and ate all the meat, it was a tradition, and the shooting was fun. After we gutted each one, threw it into the back of the pick up and washed up a little we would drink hot chocolate or coffee, eat the rolls, re-tell all the old stories from yesteryear and then head out after the next one. That was the best part of the whole thing. Found elk hunting, you are welcome to my share of the deer, I wouldn't even shoot one if it walked into elk camp, turned broadside and begged. Might take a picture though.
Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 03-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I grew up hunting in the Chyenne River breaks in Western South dakota. I still have land there and have around 10000 acres of the neighbors land to hunt on. We never see another hunter or a car or a dog or anything else. Nearest town is twenty miles south of us. I have hunted in Northern Manatoba and Sask. Almost every year since 1797. I got to be good friends with a couple quide-outfitters and just never looked for any other place to hunt. I spent a little time down under in the military. My only disappointment will come when I can't hunt any more. That day is not here yet but I can see it comming. I also hunted Wyoming for a few years when an old school teacher and her husband moved out there. I have had a great life hunting. AND FISHING as we do that in Canada as well and now I am right near Devils lake ND.