Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

disappointed........

Old 04-09-2003, 07:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default disappointed........

I' m very disappointed in the way my 1187 is shooting. I went out yesterday and destroyed my shoulder shooting all different kinds of loads seeing what worked best. I' ve narrowed it down to Winchester Hi-V #5 and #6 1 3/4oz load. The #6 was great at 30yards but $!*# at 20 and 40. The#5' s was great at 20 and 40yards but $!*# at 30. I' m not sure if choke tubes can wear out or that maybe my barrels is too short and it' s not holding a tight pattern. I' m confused and disappointed!

So still not 100% happy with the pattern, I went to my buddies shop and ordered a new Kicks tube (I think it was the .655) hoping this helps, I also bought a new gun. After I' m done posting here I have to head outside to my new bed[:' (]. I bought the 870 Express Super Magnum, the same model I just sold four months ago to get the 1187. I don' t know exactly why I sold it in the first place, it was the best turkey gun I' ve owned. I need to give this turkey hunting stuff up, it' s going to make me single again and I' ve worked so hard getting my wife to put up with my obsession!.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:44 PM

Default RE: disappointed........

Hang in there MK-M-GOBL. Hope your new 870 patterns well
Old 04-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

thats not good to hear...barrel legnth cant be it....ive never shot a pattern or seen a pattern shot as good as my 870 express mag shot and it has a 21 inch barrel and a extended remington choke..it shot great...good luck..hope the choke does it for you..i hear alot of good things about the kicks...good luck...you dont need a semi for turkeys anyway...unless you miss alot or use it for other game as well...
Old 04-09-2003, 08:11 PM

well i have the 870 express suoer mag and i think that it works well, how long is the barrel that u got, mine came with a 28 inch barrel, its kinda heavy but hey, who cares, i jsut suck it up and go out evey morning day and try my best, i hope the new gun and choke work for u, who_else
Old 04-09-2003, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

MK, should of tried the Tru-Glo tube in .665 first before going the " sell the gun route" !! That tube loves those Winchester HV #5' s!! Final thought, get a Rhino choke in .660 and some Nitro loads, you won' t be disappointed!! Trust me!!
Old 04-10-2003, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I' ll be trying the TruGlo tube on Sunday at our sight in day and might even try the Rem Hevi-shot with their Hevi-shot choke tube. I' m sure tighter Kicks .655 tube will get it to come around and start putting out a pattern I can live with. I' m sure a lot of guys could live with the pattern it' s putting out now. I' m just anal about having the best pattern I can get! I defiantly won' t be doing the " sell the gun route" again. I' m now going to have a choice of using either the 1187 or the 870Thanks guys for the words of encouragement[:-]

mauser06, I' ve been known to miss from time to time and for loosing my shells. So this year I' m heading out with one of those bandolier (sp?) full

maytom- how did your Texas hunt go? My buddies got three longbeards and one mesquite tree. The one gobbler had 10.5" beards and 1.25" spurs the other two had 9.5" and 9.75" beard 3/4" spurs.
Old 04-10-2003, 08:05 PM

MK, my 870 w/ 21" bbl and Kick' s .665 really likes Win. HV #5' s. I used ' em last year to down a pair of birds and they' re going in the same gun again this year.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:14 PM

Mk-m...I think you did the right thing by hanging onto the 1187 and getting the 870. I' m a Winchester guy myself, but anytime I can see a guy pull off the double like that, I feel proud of him. Gonna try it myself this year by hanging onto my 1300 amd getting a SX2. Good luck on the patterning!!
Old 04-11-2003, 01:09 AM

Mk-m-gobl,

I hope all goes well with your 870. I wanted to make the sight-in day but we are Deep sea fishing .
I almost went the route of Nitro' s. The 4x5x7 is illegal here in NH . It would be my luck to run into a warden, however I called Nitro and they will load a shell with 4x5x6 for the same price.
I am keeping the standard set-up with my Win 1300 Short Turkey. It worked last year. Maybe I will need to attend sight-in next year. Damn Turkey Hunting ![:' (]

Good luck, hunt safe.
Mark
Old 04-13-2003, 06:11 PM
Typical Buck

Disappointed no more I spent most of Saturday afternoon shooting my new Kick .655 and ended up working a great load. I' ll be taking Winchester Hi Velocity 3" 1 3/4oz #6 into the turkey woods this spring for my 1187. As for as the 870 goes I' ll be using the Winchester Hi Velocity 3.5" 2 1/4oz #6 in the woods for that gun. We had our sight-in day this morning which went great. Had a good turn out and helped a few guys get the best they could out of their guns.

Quick Reply: disappointed........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.