Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk Hunting Info.

Old 12-21-2003, 05:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Elk Hunting Info.

I'm new to this forum and I'm going to be new to Elk Hunting so maybe I'm missing something.

A few weeks back I posted a question asking if anyone could help me find a good place to hunt elk on public land, Nat'l Forest, etc in Colorado. I got one answer and that was from I believe, Elkmaster. He didn't provide much info, but told me that it was more or less doubtful anyone was going to disclose their hunt site. I didn't want or ask for anyone to tell me which stump or rock to sit by to kill an elk, just thought fellow hunters could get me in a good general area.

I also sent T.R. an email requesting info on the same. He more or less informed me of my odds on killing an elk because of my lack of experience.

It seems to me that the people on this board have a few agendas', one is they are more interested in bragging than helping, and they jump on someone for making a comment about not wanting alcohol on the camp.

I guess we're different in this part of the country, I try to help when I can, I ask no favors, but I'm a sportsman, and I occasionally take a drink at home and on my camps. If a person dosen't want alcohol in his camp thats' his right. I was raised hunting and fishing with camps during both activities. I was taught that a camp is the same as your home, you don't go into someones' camp and try to change things or impose in anyway, a camp to me is the same as my home or yours.

As for as chances of killing an elk, it's not the killing, but the doing. So to make it a little shorter, thanks for nothing, but remember, me and my son's will be out there in 2004 trying, so move over.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:37 AM

Default RE: Elk Hunting Info.

dogz,

It is a rite of passage. One to be earned not given. If you are not interested in paying a outfitter to accelerate your education (in the end, an economical route), then at least talk to the chamber of commerce in Craig, I believe they have a laison officer who is a retired park ranger, he knows the whole area in all directions from Craig. Taxidermists in Craig are another source of information; however, they told us Black Mountain, but after talking with the laison we picked another area.

Elk country is huge (so there will be plenty of room for you) but the elk shift from area to area and only reside in a very small portion at one time and the rest is empty, unlike deer that tend to be more or less every where and live and die within 5 miles of where they are born.

When I started our elk hunting camp, it took me three years of paying my dues before I personally got my first Colorado elk. It is high pressure public land hunting and competitive. After paying mucho $$ (even for a do it yourself trip) and coming home empty, it will be interesting to see how eager you will be to fork out your "dues paid" information over the internet so as to encourage dozens (hundreds?) to come join you.

The state wide average success rate (pros and newbies combined) is 1 hunter out of 3 gets an elk, sounds like there may be at least 3 of you, so statistically you may have some meat for your trouble on the first trip. There were 6 of us the first year and we came away educated but empty handed. If you don't get anything the first year don't be discouraged -- it is normal, the first year is frequently little more than an accelerated, intense, scouting trip where you learn all the things NOT to do. Just ante up again and pay your dues the following year, it will come together for you at some point, and.... that is just kind of the way it is.

BTW (1), alcohol in camp -- hell yes; drunks in camp -- hell no.

BTW (2), good feisty "can do/will do" attitude, I like that -- it will serve you well on your upcoming elk hunt.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM
Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

For you to come on here after only making a few posts and expect someone to give you infomation on where to hunt elk, even as broad as a GMU (game management unit), is not realistic. After you have worked for years/decades at finding a good hunting area/GMU, will you tell someone you meet at a gas station the unit you hunt in? Maybe so, but most people don't want more competition than they already have and to tell a perfect stranger is not what most people are going to do. Sure, you will tell your friends, but you don't have any friends on here yet. Any website like this will only give you good information after you have paid your dues and develop relationships. The negative tone of you post doesn't help your cause any either.

As far as people jumping on you, welcome to the world of internet hunting sites. I personally try never to attack the man, only the idea, but there are some less polite. Why? Because they are anonymous. Like it or not, that is the way it is. You have to develop a thicker skin and not let others comments bother you. There are plenty of great people with great knowledge on here and the info you get from them are worth the bull.

As far as recommending general areas to hunt elk, I would check out the Flattops wilderness, Maroon Bells wilderness, or West Elk wilderness if you want a pack in hunt. The Grand Mesa area and the area to the north and west of Durango are also good areas. Lots of public land not in a wilderness there.

Bottom line is that Colorado has a surplus of elk almost everywhere. The trick is to be there before the other guy or be one more ridge over from most of the hunters. I might suggest that you consider getting cow tags the first year. MUCH cheaper, there are always leftover tags, and your chance of success would be greater. You should also consider applying for a preference point even if you buy an over the counter tag. Find a place to hunt that has over the counter tags to hunt most years and start applying to an area for a quality hunt. You can even apply for a quality unit or preference point as a first choice and a cow tag as a 2nd choice. That way you can get a preference point for the year and still get a cow tag if wanted.

Have you checked out the Colorado DOW website? There is a lot of useful info there including stastics on each unit (number of hunters, success rates, drawing odds, etc.) . They also sell a video about elk hunting in Colorado. I have heard that it is informative in a general sense and gives info on where the biggest herds are.

Good luck! If you try it you will be hooked!
Old 12-21-2003, 09:11 AM
Typical Buck

One thing to appreciate is that you mention wanting to hunt CO, and that's fine, but most of us on this site have never hunted there, therefore we couldn't help you with specific areas. Your best bet is to take some of the suggestions offered above and do some homework, this is how it's done. You'll appreciate it more that way as well. If you're hunting with a rifle in Oct. or a bow in Sept., bone up on where elk hang out those times of the year. Fish&Game in CO can be helpful to you there once an area is decided upon.

Now if you would asked questions on elk hunting or methods of use or techniques, meat care etc. you would've got tons of response. Then slowly move towards things such as where to hunt and so on.
This way folks get to know you, and the kind of guy you are and are much more apt to open up. Instead you kind of exploded on the scene and expected to be serviced immediatley. Just food for thought! elknut1
Old 12-21-2003, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Tshunter58,

Thanks for the reply, and the info on general areas to hunt, that's all I was asking for, some where to start, as I said, "Not what stump to sit by".

You must have misunderstood what I said, nobody jumped on me, they jumped on another man that was inviting someone to hunt with him but no alcohol. As I said before, I like to take a drink in camp and at home, not while hunting though.

As for getting thick skined, does over 20 years in the military qualify me (retired now). As for not being known on this forum, let me give some idea of the type person I am. I was in Co. this year mule deer hunting, while at the hotel I met several other hunters. Four I met was, I believe, from Michigan. One of the evenings at the hotel we was all outside sitting around having a drink and talking hunting. After they found out I was from Georgia they asked if I had ever been wild boar hunting. After talking about it and telling about the wild boars on our land, I invited them to come to Georgia and hunt them. Naturally their question was, How much it would cost. I invited them to come down and hunt free, however I couldn't offer lodging in my home but we could camp or they could get a hotel room within 15 miles of our land.

I like to think I can read people pretty good and that I'm not a selfish person, as a matter of fact, I try to help any time I can. Now don't get me wrong, I wouldn't invite someone off a computer into my home without knowing something about them, and I can't take everybody hunting that ask, and in that light, remember, I didn't ask for the stump, just a starting point, which I Thank you for.

dog1
Old 12-21-2003, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

No need to be picking up your toys and running home with your tail between your legs right yet. The people on this board is the same ones you encounter every day of your life, there are some real A-holes that just hates life and it shows when they post on this board, you'll find out who they are pretty quik, but then again you gotta take the bad with the good because there are some well season hunters here that have a wealth of knowledge and all this available at your finger tips, but most in general are a great bunch of folks willing to help and sometimes egos do get in the way.
I have never hunted Colorado but the way I would approach this is obtain harvest reports from the Fish/Game Dept. and if its anything like Montana, there is an abundance of BLM property to hunt as well as State and Forestry. You will need several maps of a location you want to hunt because you want to gather as much imfo on that general area as possible and you can't get that from any one map. I take a couple weeks off every year and use this method here in Montana, but it takes a lot of homework prior to the hunt, not to mention your phsical condition and acclimateing to the elevation change. Good Luck and welcome to the board. Bobby
Old 12-21-2003, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I may be new to posting something, but my son-in-law and I have been watching it for quiet some time now.

Egos, that might be an understatement! Like you said, there are some people that I believe have honestly helped others and me, even though I never responded.

I've hunted and fished all my life, but have never owned a muzzleloader. I did read some of the post on them and got some good info. Will be buying one this year, got some good info off the forum to help make a decision.

I've seen a post or two of yours and like what I see, again Thank You.

dog1
Old 12-21-2003, 11:10 PM

dog1,

Right kind of you to invite those fellas down to hunt pig on your private land in Georgia. If they show up this year and hunt based on your one time invitation, how would you feel if they showed up the following year unannounced and univited with extra friends and just helped themselves? Therein lies the crux of the problem for giving out information (GPS, stump, tree, rock, ridge, basin, drainage) about where to hunt on public land. Private land has rights, public land is free for all = competitive. Big difference.

In your earlier email to me you indicated that you had already hunted in the Craig area in 2003 and that you wanted to "upgrade" from deer hunting low on private land to elk hunting higher up the mountain range into the adjacent National Forest land and wanted to know where to go to get elk in the National Forest. I responded that the only good areas I knew in that area were the ones I hunt and that I wasn't willing to disclose them and that I didn't think it was prudent to invite people that I don't know into my camp based upon an "internet date." That is still my position (am I missing something here?).

In case you didn't save your license information for your 2003 hunt near Craig, the GMU for elk hunting in the National Forest you discussed will be the same one you had for your "hot weather" deer hunt in 2003, i.e. GMU #4.

Again, Good Luck and Good Hunting,

EKM
Old 12-23-2003, 12:17 AM

Some buddies and I are wanting to plan our first elk trip for this coming year. We all are farm kids here in Kansas that grew up hunting trophy whitetail on our land (170+). We are all Seniors in college and this might be our last chance to meet up together and head west to try our luck on some elk. We really don't care if we have to walk 20 miles, we are just up for the adventure. We also really don't know the ends and outs of how we could get an elk in Colorado so any help would be much appreciated. If its anything like getting out of state Kansas whitetail, it might take a lot of help to get a trip set up. We are interested in going at it solo, getting a guide, or swapping a kansas hunt (deer, quail, pheasant, etc.). We just don't have the funds to spend $3-5,000 on a hunt. We are some of the most down to earth, enjoyable guys you'll meet. I personally would mainly be along to use my camera more than my gun. We also raise top notch bird dogs if interested is swapping something of that matter. But like I said, any help in the matter of getting a out of state Colorado Elk w/ a limited budget would be much appreciated.

Thank you and Merry Christmas,
Jason Lewis
785-218-7489

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!! GO KU!!!
Old 12-23-2003, 12:17 AM

Email is [email protected] (above post)

Quick Reply: Elk Hunting Info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.