HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting Info.
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 07:37 AM
ELKampMaster

Default RE: Elk Hunting Info.

dogz,

It is a rite of passage. One to be earned not given. If you are not interested in paying a outfitter to accelerate your education (in the end, an economical route), then at least talk to the chamber of commerce in Craig, I believe they have a laison officer who is a retired park ranger, he knows the whole area in all directions from Craig. Taxidermists in Craig are another source of information; however, they told us Black Mountain, but after talking with the laison we picked another area.

Elk country is huge (so there will be plenty of room for you) but the elk shift from area to area and only reside in a very small portion at one time and the rest is empty, unlike deer that tend to be more or less every where and live and die within 5 miles of where they are born.

When I started our elk hunting camp, it took me three years of paying my dues before I personally got my first Colorado elk. It is high pressure public land hunting and competitive. After paying mucho $$ (even for a do it yourself trip) and coming home empty, it will be interesting to see how eager you will be to fork out your "dues paid" information over the internet so as to encourage dozens (hundreds?) to come join you.

The state wide average success rate (pros and newbies combined) is 1 hunter out of 3 gets an elk, sounds like there may be at least 3 of you, so statistically you may have some meat for your trouble on the first trip. There were 6 of us the first year and we came away educated but empty handed. If you don't get anything the first year don't be discouraged -- it is normal, the first year is frequently little more than an accelerated, intense, scouting trip where you learn all the things NOT to do. Just ante up again and pay your dues the following year, it will come together for you at some point, and.... that is just kind of the way it is.

BTW (1), alcohol in camp -- hell yes; drunks in camp -- hell no.

BTW (2), good feisty "can do/will do" attitude, I like that -- it will serve you well on your upcoming elk hunt.

Good Luck and Good Hunting,
EKM