HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Elk Hunting Info.
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2003, 08:44 AM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Elk Hunting Info.

For you to come on here after only making a few posts and expect someone to give you infomation on where to hunt elk, even as broad as a GMU (game management unit), is not realistic. After you have worked for years/decades at finding a good hunting area/GMU, will you tell someone you meet at a gas station the unit you hunt in? Maybe so, but most people don't want more competition than they already have and to tell a perfect stranger is not what most people are going to do. Sure, you will tell your friends, but you don't have any friends on here yet. Any website like this will only give you good information after you have paid your dues and develop relationships. The negative tone of you post doesn't help your cause any either.

As far as people jumping on you, welcome to the world of internet hunting sites. I personally try never to attack the man, only the idea, but there are some less polite. Why? Because they are anonymous. Like it or not, that is the way it is. You have to develop a thicker skin and not let others comments bother you. There are plenty of great people with great knowledge on here and the info you get from them are worth the bull.

As far as recommending general areas to hunt elk, I would check out the Flattops wilderness, Maroon Bells wilderness, or West Elk wilderness if you want a pack in hunt. The Grand Mesa area and the area to the north and west of Durango are also good areas. Lots of public land not in a wilderness there.

Bottom line is that Colorado has a surplus of elk almost everywhere. The trick is to be there before the other guy or be one more ridge over from most of the hunters. I might suggest that you consider getting cow tags the first year. MUCH cheaper, there are always leftover tags, and your chance of success would be greater. You should also consider applying for a preference point even if you buy an over the counter tag. Find a place to hunt that has over the counter tags to hunt most years and start applying to an area for a quality hunt. You can even apply for a quality unit or preference point as a first choice and a cow tag as a 2nd choice. That way you can get a preference point for the year and still get a cow tag if wanted.

Have you checked out the Colorado DOW website? There is a lot of useful info there including stastics on each unit (number of hunters, success rates, drawing odds, etc.) . They also sell a video about elk hunting in Colorado. I have heard that it is informative in a general sense and gives info on where the biggest herds are.

Good luck! If you try it you will be hooked!