Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Poaching is WRONG!!

Old 11-01-2003, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Default Poaching is WRONG!!

Alright the last few days there obviously has been a hot topic. Instead of singling out members of the board lets single out the topic.

In my mind if a man is truely starving, and I mean tried everything else within the law to feed his family, (keep in mind welfare and other programs) then I' d say go ahead and take a deer to put some meat on the table. But I' ll be honest I have never once heard of a man poaching to feed his family. Every game warden I' ve ever talked to have also said even though they here the excuse, they have never encountered someone poaching to legitimately try to feed his family. Most of em say if they ever did encounter that situation they would help the guy clean it and get it home. But like I said, every game warden I' ve ever talked hasn' t ever seen it.

With the above being the ONLY POSSIBLE exception, poaching is illegal which makes it WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!!!! There is no gray area, no area subject to personal feelings, no room for family or cultural traditions that go against the law. If you poach then you are a criminal and should be treated as such.

In todays world there a so many people that poaching has become much more serious than it used to be. Poaching destroys our image, poching hurts our cause, poaching causes higher license fees, and poaching destroys our resources.

Without singling out people and without name calling show your support by responding with a yea or nea on whether or not poaching is wrong.
Old 11-01-2003, 11:59 AM

Default RE: Poaching is WRONG!!

Poaching destroys our image, poching hurts our cause, poaching causes higher license fees, and poaching destroys our resources.
Agree 100% the anti' s love to pick up on what poachers have done and then advertise them as bloodthirsty hunters,makes true hunters look bad in everyones eyes. This is just one way the anti' s continue to gain support year after year.they fail/refuse to see the difference between poachers and hunters, two totally different types of people!!

Poaching to feed the family is like saying " I mugged the guy to buy groceries for the wife and kids" . I don' t think the cops would buy it.
Poaching is just plain illegal and wrong,wrong wrong PERIOD!!!
Old 11-01-2003, 05:39 PM

my vote is yea,, i don' t know how you could run out of friends to help youif you needed it that much,, my family would and does as much as we can to help thosein need,,, but somtimes you can come up with an idea since you were youg and think it is ok tohunt out of season,, run into that ocasionally here in montana, best to educate if they will listen
Old 11-02-2003, 12:46 AM
Fork Horn

I agree whole heartedly poaching is stealing. Stealing a game animal that belongs to all of us. If a person cant feed their family how can they afford the rifle,ammunition, fuel and all the other things associated with their endeavor. This money could be much better spent at the grocery store.

But just like a bank robber that uses a disguise to steal somthing that doesnt belong to them, poachers use the disguise of hunters. That makes us all look bad.

Un fortunately the general public reads things in the local papers like " HUNTER KILLS ELK OUT OF SEASON" instead of saying poacher, which is what they are.

Sorry if I start to ramble on but get madder than he!! to think that I as a hunter who goes out of my way to adhere to all game laws, help in habitat enhancement, and preserve the image of hunters as law abiding citizens would be lumped into the same catagory as these scum sucking bottom feeding parasites who dont have either enough talent or desire to harvest a game animal in a legeal or ethical manner.

WOW! think i might have gotten that out of my system for a day or two.

good hunting

Rogue
Old 11-02-2003, 03:32 AM

Sorry, but I won' t condone shooting the deer to feed a starving family. Sell the rifle and buy beef. At least that way you can stay honest while feeding the family. Stealing is wrong, period. Poaching is stealing.

Of course, we aren' t really talking about someone feeding their poor starving family. Every poacher I have known about did it because he was a jerk and a criminal in nature. No exceptions. Mostly they kill nice bucks and take just the antlers, leaving the meat to rot. Oh, occasionally they take a doe for meat. So much for the starving poacher theory. Put it to rest and put them in jail.
Old 11-02-2003, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Correct me if I am wrong. Wasn' t the grouped called Farmer & Hunters feeding the hungery started by a hunter who found a lady picking up a roadkill deer? I was told she would pick up any roadkill so she could feed her family. This hunter saw what she was doing & decided we all could help the hungry people of america.

patrkyhntr
You said " sell the rifle & buy beef."
Well if I was so broke that I had to either sell my rifle or go hungry. I would shoot the first deer that walk in front of me. Think about it. If you are that broke nobody can hurt you. The worst that can happen is you get caught & they throw you in jail. A broke person would love jail three square meals a day, a dry roof over your head & cable t.v. that would be more than they have at home.

Be honest with yourself people. What would you really do if you needed the meat???
Yes I know poaching is wrong. I am not a poacher. But I am honest.
Old 11-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Typical Buck

If you' ve ever filled a tag such as your wifes or kids or a friend, you' re a law breaker, a poacher, in the eyes of the law. Other hunters may look upon this as OK, but the law doesn' t. Don' t be so quick to cast the first stone. elknut1
Old 11-02-2003, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

POACHERS DISCUST ME!!! I agree that the money used to go out and kill an animal to feed a starving family could just as easily be used at the grocery store. Just a few weeks ago, here in NEVADA a 380" bull got poached. The guy had some 15 or so other animals in his house that were possible pocahing candidates. They are checking in to that. The guy was in a contest with some buddies to shoot the biggest animal. That just DISCUSTS me. I' m sure that if someone were truly shooting an animal to feed their family, however, it would be much more low key than someone who shoots the nice BUCK standing right next to that doe. The public would never hear about that doe that got shot, but the story of the guy shooting the buck would be on the front page of the news paper. And yes, POACHERS do give HUNTERS a bad name.
Old 11-03-2003, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell you a story,
I grew up poor realy poor in the mountains of NW Montana,my father was a true hunter.He never killed game out of season, never lost a deer.I remember alot of winters we had deer liver and flour biscuts for dinner.He would get the flour from the manager of the store(he worked 3 jobs),they were the bags that the mice chewed into.
His problem was pride, he is a proud man,he didn' t ask for help and when some one wanted to help he said he didn' t need it.

Now alot of you said sell the gun and buy from a store,how far is $300 dollars going to go in the supper market,not very far.

Yeh times are better than they were 30 yrs ago or latter,some here even remeber the depression,and you know what alot of deer were killed to feed a family or family' s.
I knew a man who would pick up the road kill and feed his family,other familys helped as much as they could.
How many of you tried to apply for food stamps or welfare?
You just can' t say I' m poor or need food,you have to prove to them you are.
What if it takes a month or two,what if.....

People poaching is wrong and I donot condone it,but what if.......
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
Typical Buck

This is inneresting. I hunted for the table as a boy in rural KY. We ate a hell of a lot of rabbit, squirrel, and groundhog. Ate catfish too. Didn' t have much deer cause there weren' t much around. Too many other hungry families, or jus' plain greedy folks. Nowadays, the social safety net is there, but my grandaddy would' ve rather blowed his brains out than ask for charity. The other side is he wouldn' t take jus' any job either. Wouldn' t move to the city, or do work he considered beneath him. Things would have to be pretty bad to need to poach. I pay $35 for an elk tag, and my family of 3 cain' t hardly eat all the meat in a year. If that' s all we had, it might be differnt. Lots of meat gets donated to the local food bank ever year, by hunters who don' t want to ship it home or jus' don' t like wild game. Better yer kids see you accept charity than see you locked up for breakin' the law. There was a time when I ran outta money an' was way too deep in debt. I coulda used free meat, but never considered poachin' . Ended up takin' a job 400 miles from home that winter. I ' spect I' d eat jack rabbit or coyote before I' d poach. Cain' t be as bad as groundhog or coon.

Quick Reply: Poaching is WRONG!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.