HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Poaching is WRONG!!
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2003, 01:34 PM
BeaverJack
Typical Buck

Default RE: Poaching is WRONG!!

This is inneresting. I hunted for the table as a boy in rural KY. We ate a hell of a lot of rabbit, squirrel, and groundhog. Ate catfish too. Didn' t have much deer cause there weren' t much around. Too many other hungry families, or jus' plain greedy folks. Nowadays, the social safety net is there, but my grandaddy would' ve rather blowed his brains out than ask for charity. The other side is he wouldn' t take jus' any job either. Wouldn' t move to the city, or do work he considered beneath him. Things would have to be pretty bad to need to poach. I pay $35 for an elk tag, and my family of 3 cain' t hardly eat all the meat in a year. If that' s all we had, it might be differnt. Lots of meat gets donated to the local food bank ever year, by hunters who don' t want to ship it home or jus' don' t like wild game. Better yer kids see you accept charity than see you locked up for breakin' the law. There was a time when I ran outta money an' was way too deep in debt. I coulda used free meat, but never considered poachin' . Ended up takin' a job 400 miles from home that winter. I ' spect I' d eat jack rabbit or coyote before I' d poach. Cain' t be as bad as groundhog or coon.