Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Poaching is WRONG!!

Old 11-03-2003, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Poaching is WRONG!!

Beaver Jack,
Oh yes coyote tates as bad as the road kill he eats,I ate a few bites of one on a bet with a freind.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:13 PM

Hmmm....looks like this thread could get juicy too. To cut down on the chances of any arguments starting, why don' t you guys break the " poaching" issue into two categories. I mean heck, you' ll never come to an agreement over this. It' ll just go back and forth. I' ve never said poaching was right, because I believe it' s wrong. But this thread is going to make a mess out of two entirely different types of poachers. First you have the outright criminals who kill for money parts, and nothing else. On the other hand, you have the guy who only wants to feed his family. Granted, both these guys are poachers, but the reasons behind them doing it are entirely different. By the way, who ever said that a guy wanting to feed his family would only hunt deer,elk, or any other big game? What if he was hunting coyote or jack rabbit to feed his family? You can easily break the law hunting small game/varmints. Break the law, and you' re a poacher. I don' t think any farmer/rancher would call the game warden if some guy killed a coyote anywhere near his land.
Old 11-03-2003, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Well I am not one to paint all who break a game law with the same brush and call them a poacher. There are the hard core law breakers who go out with every intention of breaking game laws and doing things against the law. And there are others who make a mistake or decide that in the situation they are in they can justify breaking the law.

The dayly limit on geese here in Alberta was 8 a couple years back when I shot 9 one day. I had six fat birds on the ground and a flock came in to my decoys. I jumped up and shot 3 times hoping to get one and maybe if I got lucky two birds. (I have never been a very good wing shot). Well you could have knocked me over with a feather when 3 birds fell and I instantly became a " dirty rotten poacher" . My mother-in-law (on whose farm I was shooting) said the geese were eating her grain and she had rased the limit on her farm. I never argue with my mother-in-law.

I once saw a fellow shooting a coyote from a road where he should not have been shooting. The coyote had looked " wet" along its side before he shot. I drove up behind him and took down his plate # so I could report and testify against him. He explained to me that he had hit the coyote with his truck as it ran accross the road and its guts were hanging out. He was shooting it to stop it suffering. I believed this " low down snake of a poacher" and did not turn him in.

I have a cosin who shot at a rooster pheasent as it ran into a patch of weeds. Out flew a hen (which can not be shot here) and it sailed accross the field then dropped dead on the ground. He retrived it as a fellow was driving by. The fellow took down his licence number and talked to mu cosin but later reported him for shooting a hen. Driving away before my cosin retrieved the dead cock in the weeds. In court my cosin plead guilty and payed a small fine but lost his hunting privilages for a year. Served the " discussting poacher" right I guess.

All that glitters is not gold and all who break a game law are not poachers I say.

Robin
Old 11-03-2003, 04:32 PM

Good post. I agree with you. Accidents happen, and game which isn' t in season do in fact get hit. Or game that has been wounded by pure accident need to be put down. I personally do not see any wrong in those cases, even though they are technically illegal. But it seems like some people have a black or white stance on this issue. It' s either black or white, no gray....period. Seems most think that if it' s illegal, you' re a poacher....regardless of the circumstances surrounding WHY the game was killed.

Your mention of the guy who hunts with every intention to violate game laws and break the law is what people should be against. But if a guy violates laws to put food on his table, it' s a totally different situation. It' s like a catch-22. Yes, he is breaking the law, but how can you wrong a man who simply wants to provide for his family when he has few alternatives.

When it comes to survival, people do strange things. Why do hookers exist? Because little girls across America dream and aspire to do that? Why am I outside splitting firewood? Because I like doing it? No...it' s because if I want heat, then I NEED to get to chopping. I hate it, but it' s what life dictates is necessary at the moment.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:20 PM

Poaching is the intentional taking of fish or game through illegal means or at illegal times or illegal quantity. Failing to properly identify an animal or bird is simply an infraction of an Act or Regulation. Big difference folks. And there are gray areas, to be sure. As well, there are degrees of severity. One grouse over the limit is a far cry from 10 birds over. However, both are poaching.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:51 AM

I have agree that poaching is wrong, and it (as stated in other posts) is a NO-NO. it does give hunters a bad rap. (as posted above ) --tha catch 22--unfortunately doesnt hold to well in court or in the eyes of many others. I can remember on an occasion when my dad had gone into the woods below our house and came back with a very beautiful doe, i Being only 7 @ the time, had to question " why" --in response i was told yea its not right, BUT you want to eat dont you?. to this day 23 yrs later i still have problems with that, its illegal to do, but without it you go hungry.. that stinks...Irony i guess--POACHING IS STILL NOT RIGHT !!!!!!!
Old 11-04-2003, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

ZERO TOLERANCE is the only rational approach. Otherwise, you' re openin' it up to a billion differnt value systems. Two cow moose killed and left yesterday here. One had a nursing calf, so we lost 3 moose to one twisted individual who probably justified it to himself somehow or another.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:33 PM

Ok, I guess I' m in the minority here concerning the justification of poaching in regards to the specific circumstances surrounding the act. I would testify against a ruthless poacher, but would probably condone the act if it was done for true survival. That' s my stance, so shoot me if you cannot accept it.

Speaking of shooting me, is it wrong to kill a human? Not to downplay the importance of wildlife, but game of any kind are just animals. I may beg to differ at times, but it is said that humans are the " supreme" beings. So, in theory, a human' s life is worth much more than a simple animal' s life.

If a person feels that it is wrong to poach, with absolutley NO tolerance, I would say it' s safe to assume that the person also feels the same way about taking human life. There should be absolutely no tolerance when taking a human life. Nevermind all that self-defense garbage. If a man is about to kill you, then you should kiss your butt goodbye? Why stoop to his level and become a killer. After all, there should be no tolerance when taking a human life, no matter what the circumstance. I for one would have no problem killing a man if he intended to kill me. It' s called survival.

Why is it that there are so many different classifications when it comes to killing a person? You have first-degree murder, second-degree murder, manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, justifiable homicide (I think), and there' s always the good-ole insanity plea. Why have so many classes? It' s wrong to kill a human, regardless of the circumstances. No tolerance. Right?

Or could it be that the circumstances of an act alter whether it' s right or wrong?
Old 11-04-2003, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

I don' t know if any of you have ever been truely hungry. I mean haven' t eaten in a few days and you have no idea where your next meal is going to come from. You' ve eaten only enough the last week or so sustain your life but you are losing strength fast. I' ve been that hungry before. I once was in a hurricane while in south america. I ate bugs, snakes and iguanas until we get some help and got out. Once you get that hungry you change, you go back a couple thousand years and you' re running on instinct. A deer no longer looks like a nice trophy, its the most delicious steak you' ve ever had in your life on legs and thats all you can think about. You can' t think about much else but food. A lizard will look like the best brownie you' ve ever had. I don' t think many of you have ever been that hungry but I think you would change your tune a little when it comes to poaching when your starving. If you were that hungry poaching laws wouldn' t mean squat and that I guarantee you.

A human life IS more important than say a mule deer. If I encountered a man truely starving like that and he was poaching, I' d help him clean his deer and get it home. However I do believe in our society it should be such and incredible rareity that we many of us never even hear of a case in our lifetimes.

Zero tolerance should apply to drunk driving or something like that.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:37 PM

Well said. Very well said. I don' t think anyone can refute that one unless they live in a fish bowl and assume everyone is as well off as they are.

Quick Reply: Poaching is WRONG!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.