Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
New to outfitting, looking for your advice. >

New to outfitting, looking for your advice.

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

New to outfitting, looking for your advice.

Old 02-25-2015, 10:55 AM
Spike

I am glad I found this site, it has been more of a help then ever expected. I appreciate how much input I have been recieving and hope to recieve much, much more advice.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Social media---Definitely pics of taken game/success rate etc. Price it accordingly. --show camping/sleeping conditions etc.
Old 03-22-2015, 12:21 PM
Spike

Call Mark Werner at Kamaloops, BC. He is the past president of the Guide Association for the Western providences. He has bought worked and sold several concessions. He has always been successful. He will guide you in the right direction, but he is also a very busy man.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by dlmac
Call Mark Werner at Kamaloops, BC. He is the past president of the Guide Association for the Western providences. He has bought worked and sold several concessions. He has always been successful. He will guide you in the right direction, but he is also a very busy man.
Do you know if he works with people on the eastcoast, that are on a small scale.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

ALWAYS answer EVERY question a potential client asks. This never fails: I send an e-mail asking five SHORT questions (i.e., "When does the season start?" or "Do I need to bring my own sleeping pad"). The outfitter responds (sort-of) to questions 1, 3, and 5, so I re-send asking questions 2 and 4, and he responds to only question 4. This ALWAYS happens. Drives me nuts!

(Lest you think I'm some sort of "grazer" who asks a billion questions and never books, the aforementioned problem usually happens AFTER I've already booked and I'm just trying to iron out logistics.)

Also, if you're going to have your daughter or wife answer the phone, make sure they know what they're talking about (or make sure they have YOU call the client back).

As others have said, be a straight shooter. No BS.

Keep track of client requests and HONOR them. If you say you'll provide a sleeping pad, a non-smoking guide, beds without a tailboard (News Flash: Some hunters are over 6'), a non-psycho horse, decaf, etc., make sure you follow through.

Last edited by BTM; 03-27-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTM, just a small hint here, 99% of ALL horses that are breathing are freaking PSYCHO! Or they are the walking dead.

Munna07, Most have given you pretty much all that can be given on a site. I've used many outfitters in my years of hunting though I am fairly self sufficient. I just find it a little easier as well as safer to use someone familiar to the land if it is somewhere I have never been. What I look for in a guide/outfitter are three things:

1) First and foremost is SAFE! I really hate being in the woods with an unsafe individual.

2) Knowledgeable. Knows his equipment as well as the game that is being hunted.

3) Honesty! Don't try to BS me. If you don't know about something then be honest and say you haven't learned about whatever it is. Don't attempt to "con" your way through it. You may end up with a client such as myself that has seen pretty much all of it and will call you out on the "con" and you will not only lose that client but several more when he makes a few phone calls or hit's a few sites such as this. If I were to call a "New" outfitter/guide such as yourself and I asked you something that you didn't really have much knowledge about and were honest with me, it might very well be that I could help you learn it and I would also be mentally giving you "cudo" points for your honesty. Lots of old farts like me out there that appreciate an honest person more than much of anything else.

I wish you well in your endeavors.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:43 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BTM
ALWAYS answer EVERY question a potential client asks. This never fails: I send an e-mail asking five SHORT questions (i.e., "When does the season start?" or "Do I need to bring my own sleeping pad"). The outfitter responds (sort-of) to questions 1, 3, and 5, so I re-send asking questions 2 and 4, and he responds to only question 4. This ALWAYS happens. Drives me nuts!

(Lest you think I'm some sort of "grazer" who asks a billion questions and never books, the aforementioned problem usually happens AFTER I've already booked and I'm just trying to iron out logistics.)

Also, if you're going to have your daughter or wife answer the phone, make sure they know what they're talking about (or make sure they have YOU call the client back).

As others have said, be a straight shooter. No BS.

Keep track of client requests and HONOR them. If you say you'll provide a sleeping pad, a non-smoking guide, beds without a tailboard (News Flash: Some hunters are over 6'), a non-psycho horse, decaf, etc., make sure you follow through.
Thank you for your advice because my wife and daughter do answer the phone especially when I know I am going to be in areas with no cell service.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
BTM, just a small hint here, 99% of ALL horses that are breathing are freaking PSYCHO! Or they are the walking dead.

Munna07, Most have given you pretty much all that can be given on a site. I've used many outfitters in my years of hunting though I am fairly self sufficient. I just find it a little easier as well as safer to use someone familiar to the land if it is somewhere I have never been. What I look for in a guide/outfitter are three things:

1) First and foremost is SAFE! I really hate being in the woods with an unsafe individual.

3) Honesty! Don't try to BS me. If you don't know about something then be honest and say you haven't learned about whatever it is. Don't attempt to "con" your way through it. You may end up with a client such as myself that has seen pretty much all of it and will call you out on the "con" and you will not only lose that client but several more when he makes a few phone calls or hit's a few sites such as this. If I were to call a "New" outfitter/guide such as yourself and I asked you something that you didn't really have much knowledge about and were honest with me, it might very well be that I could help you learn it and I would also be mentally giving you "cudo" points for your honesty. Lots of old farts like me out there that appreciate an honest person more than much of anything else.

I think your advice is great and makes me feel better about some of the choices I do make.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:13 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by super_hunt54

Yep, which is why I don't book horseback hunts any more! Had my fill of them.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regarding giving away some hunts.....from a marketing perspective, that is a great idea.....best way to really break out is in social media.....have a contest......"like my page on face book for chance to enter for free ________hunt......and/or a fishing trip......if you are really serious about growing a business, I'd offer some deals like that annually.....create a buzz around a marketing campaign like that.....post the winners entire hunting experience with you online

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.