HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to outfitting, looking for your advice.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:13 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

ALWAYS answer EVERY question a potential client asks. This never fails: I send an e-mail asking five SHORT questions (i.e., "When does the season start?" or "Do I need to bring my own sleeping pad"). The outfitter responds (sort-of) to questions 1, 3, and 5, so I re-send asking questions 2 and 4, and he responds to only question 4. This ALWAYS happens. Drives me nuts!

(Lest you think I'm some sort of "grazer" who asks a billion questions and never books, the aforementioned problem usually happens AFTER I've already booked and I'm just trying to iron out logistics.)

Also, if you're going to have your daughter or wife answer the phone, make sure they know what they're talking about (or make sure they have YOU call the client back).

As others have said, be a straight shooter. No BS.

Keep track of client requests and HONOR them. If you say you'll provide a sleeping pad, a non-smoking guide, beds without a tailboard (News Flash: Some hunters are over 6'), a non-psycho horse, decaf, etc., make sure you follow through.

Last edited by BTM; 03-27-2015 at 06:17 PM.