HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New to outfitting, looking for your advice.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:50 PM
munna07
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
BTM, just a small hint here, 99% of ALL horses that are breathing are freaking PSYCHO! Or they are the walking dead.

Munna07, Most have given you pretty much all that can be given on a site. I've used many outfitters in my years of hunting though I am fairly self sufficient. I just find it a little easier as well as safer to use someone familiar to the land if it is somewhere I have never been. What I look for in a guide/outfitter are three things:

1) First and foremost is SAFE! I really hate being in the woods with an unsafe individual.

2) Knowledgeable. Knows his equipment as well as the game that is being hunted.

3) Honesty! Don't try to BS me. If you don't know about something then be honest and say you haven't learned about whatever it is. Don't attempt to "con" your way through it. You may end up with a client such as myself that has seen pretty much all of it and will call you out on the "con" and you will not only lose that client but several more when he makes a few phone calls or hit's a few sites such as this. If I were to call a "New" outfitter/guide such as yourself and I asked you something that you didn't really have much knowledge about and were honest with me, it might very well be that I could help you learn it and I would also be mentally giving you "cudo" points for your honesty. Lots of old farts like me out there that appreciate an honest person more than much of anything else.

I wish you well in your endeavors.
I think your advice is great and makes me feel better about some of the choices I do make.