Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Big buck contests?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I said "Yup" to those who just trophy hunt. Probably most meat hunters agrees with me.

Have you ever had a great hunt, and never killed anything? You had such a good time that it didn't matter? Sometimes the game needs to win too. It has to be that way for me. If it was so easy that I got a kill everytime I put my boots on. I would have quit hunting decades ago.

I'm thinking of writing a book in my old age. My way to leave something for those who would be interested. I already have the title.

The Joy Of The Hunt
Thats exactly why i trophy hunt when it comes to deer.if i was just after meat my tag would be filled on the first day.moose and elk are diffrent story,i still have mydeer tag from last year i just never saw anything big enough but it was still a great year.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

I dont buy into the saying,if its brown its down.i believe in let them go let them grow
Old 05-01-2013, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

So for those of you who dont believe in "bragging" about your kill and sharing pictures, do you read any hunting magazines?

Can't imagine you just read it for the advertisments
Old 05-01-2013, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why does there need to be a separation Pete? Why not let hunters hunt? There's the Barta way, Pete's way, and Will's way-among others. At the end of the day, at the end of all the long/hard fought seasons, at the end of our lives...do those trophies hanging on the walls or sitting on the shelves, whether they are tangible mounts, readable books, or viewable photographs, mean anything to anyone other than you? For me, the answer is maybe, maybe not. I will not deny any hunter his walk on this planet. I will even congratulate him whether he's successful or not. The mere fact that he/she was out there legally hunting is enough for me. I will look upon them as a kindred soul-contest or not. All too often we hunters are blinded by our own arrogance. It is one thing to preach/teach, it is another to practice what you preach/teach. Life is way too short to have to worry about enemies...

Have you ever had a great hunt, and never killed anything? You had such a good time that it didn't matter? Sometimes the game needs to win too.
All the time and couldn't agree more.

I would buy your book.

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 05-01-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have to quote myself once again?

"Others are free to do as they please."

I don't believe i've stopped anybody from hunting their way. Why would I? If I express how I do it, or how I feel. Why do you insist that i'm trying to get you to do the same?

If I say to you. I love to fish with bamboo fly rods, silk line, and tie my flies with only natural materials. (I do) Why would you think i'm trying to get you to do the same thing? I'm simply telling you what I like. If you ask me what I think of how you do it. I'll give you an honest opinion of how I feel. Does that mean i'm trying to get you to change your ways? No, of course not!

Stop twisting what I say.

We've had this conversation before. I don't want to do it again. I had my say, and i'm done. No, i'm not running away. I just don't have anymore to say about this. Anymore, and it will just be an argument, and i'm not interested in that.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes saying nothing says everything. It leaves little room for misinterpretation. Enjoy the rest of your day, I will do the same. Thank you for your thoughts.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Pete---I would love to read a book like you mentioned you're thinking about writing and I think many more guys would too. You're getting up there in years and I believe you're a few years older than I am at 65, so we both have seen many days in the field starting as young as we both did. I can truthfully say that the last ten years of my life outdoors have been the happiest and it's because I could care less whether I have a tag or am just helping a friend or mentoring a young kid getting into our sport. It's too bad so many look at the kill, size of horns, "the BOOK", etc. in order to be satisfied with a hunt. I've always felt that if a big one came along that was great (very seldom happens), but the overall hunt itself is what counts. I've never been the "have to kill something" type and actually lost a developing friendship with a nice guy that was just the opposite and was never happy unless he saw a lot of game and killed something. It got old quickly when he was never happy unless that was how a hunt ended and we parted company. If someone is that way, IMHO they don't really see the big picture of why we go out, but no two people are quite the same and that's what makes the world go around.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why is it too bad Top? I am not sure I understand your line of thinking? Should we all be forced to walk in your footsteps, even if we think and act differently? Should we drain the pool water if someone jumps in and is in direct opposition to your way of life? They did that with men of color before the 60s, ya know? Was it really too bad the Pilgrims left England for a new world? Was it really too bad competition pushed America to the moon? By golly, when you totally realize the rest of us hunters take in the very same air, do you think the world will come to an end?

A friend of mine said, "I'm of the opinion that they [gay men and women] can do as they please, so long as I'm not forced to abide by their lifestyle, I wont force them to abide by mine." I couldn't agree more! Is that too bad?
Old 05-01-2013, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Contests......head mounts on the wall.........hero photos.........PHOOEY !!!!!!!

I just draw pictures of my hunts on the living room wall like my distant ancestors did.
My wife keeps confiscating my crayons though.

Last edited by Bullcamp82834; 05-01-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Pete---It now looks like a certain person that lacks reading comprehension wants to hassle me and start something when all I've stated is what makes ME happy just like you did and that may well differ from others. What is so friggin hard to understand about everyone to his own and who cares what other people think? We're not attempting to force anything on anyone else!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.