HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Big buck contests?
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Topgun 3006
Giant Nontypical

Pete---I would love to read a book like you mentioned you're thinking about writing and I think many more guys would too. You're getting up there in years and I believe you're a few years older than I am at 65, so we both have seen many days in the field starting as young as we both did. I can truthfully say that the last ten years of my life outdoors have been the happiest and it's because I could care less whether I have a tag or am just helping a friend or mentoring a young kid getting into our sport. It's too bad so many look at the kill, size of horns, "the BOOK", etc. in order to be satisfied with a hunt. I've always felt that if a big one came along that was great (very seldom happens), but the overall hunt itself is what counts. I've never been the "have to kill something" type and actually lost a developing friendship with a nice guy that was just the opposite and was never happy unless he saw a lot of game and killed something. It got old quickly when he was never happy unless that was how a hunt ended and we parted company. If someone is that way, IMHO they don't really see the big picture of why we go out, but no two people are quite the same and that's what makes the world go around.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-01-2013 at 09:05 AM.