Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate? >

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
Kill a baboon via spot and stalk
I bet they are one tasty critter. That bet would almost be worth taking the chance… just for the great eats. MMMM broiled baboon steaks au jus.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd sooner get my good eye poked out.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're sort of like whistle-pigs and feral hogs, Champlain. They're shot not for their palatability (i'm sure someone eats them) but rather because they're an incredible nuisance. Farmers absolutely hate them! They can destroy any crop in a matter of days. They're shot on sight. It takes a Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Etiologic Agent Import Permit for one of us to shoot one and export it home. Definitely more challenging with a bow... BUT,

Here ya go Muley. This has you written all over it. You might have to step away from "familiar" though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9IYpwx3-_w

I'll give you seven days to get one with your muzzleloader

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 01-07-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO!

I'll repeat.......NO!
Old 01-08-2013, 02:46 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
They're sort of like whistle-pigs and feral hogs, Champlain. They're shot not for their palatability (i'm sure someone eats them) but rather because they're an incredible nuisance. Farmers absolutely hate them! They can destroy any crop in a matter of days. They're shot on sight. It takes a Center for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) Etiologic Agent Import Permit for one of us to shoot one and export it home. Definitely more challenging with a bow... BUT,
I was just being facetious regarding the baboon. My personal hunting practice limits me to sport killing animals I eat. Nothing against shooting crow, coyote, woodchuck/ prairie dog or anything else that is considered a nuisance but I don’t hunt them. On a more relevant topic which was part of the initial thread, a recent sting here in Vt has closed an illegal 120 acre shooting preserve with an 8 foot fence. They had 200 animals in there of assorted exotic species and didn’t have state license. In 2008 our state banned the opening of any new captive preserves but grandfathered the 2 existing permitted facilities. The reason, in addition to the bad taste it gives to the general public and Vt hunting traditions, was to lower the possibility of CWD being introduced into the state from imported animals. The closed facility had animals without record of origin. Our state is small and the Department of Fish and Wildlife is mostly self funded from license sales. When CWD does appear here it will bankrupt the Department with the steps necessary to contain and test for it. Most new cases of CWD have origins from a captive animal location.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Champlain,

CWD is an interesting topic and one which my contribution would only be speculation. I am not up to speed in this arena. I've heard urine scents are under consideration for the spread of CWD also. I just don't know...

I do know that it is human nature to box things in, for either protection or procurement.

And thanks for the laugh. I was beginning to wonder if eating something was part of the "Fair" equation also. I respect your way of hunting. It is very similar to my grandmother's-until the squirrels started destroying her house.

How is the ice fishing?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Huck................I just went to your web site, and looked at your gallery. I'm impressed. You're the real deal buddy.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Muley,

I honestly feel I'm your average guy with a lot of ambition. I save every penny I can scrounge to go hunting. When I said I base everything on first hand experience, there's a reason why.

I am not here to fight with anyone, partly because I have learned the World is a very small place. If I can share what I have experienced, I try to do so. At the end of the day, at the end of several long fought seasons, and at the end of our lives, what we have hanging on the wall won't much matter to anyone. Hence, I hope we can all live and let live.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

No, you're not the average guy. Most will just dream of what you did. You went out and did it.

My personality is different. When I find something I really love. I just stay with it, and I don't want to do anything else. My dad brought me to Colorado when I was a youngster to hunt for elk. I feel in love with the elk, and the mountains. My only goal from that point on was to move to these mountains. It took a while, but I was patient, because I came every year to hunt elk. Now I live so close to the elk that I don't even have to camp. A 15 min drive puts me right in them at timberline.

So, it was my only dream, and it came true. Your dreams took you all over the world. We're both happy in our own way.

Good hunting to you.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Champlain Islaner, cwd haha thats funny. You havent learned yet not to believe what our gov't tells us. Thats funny. Do you know why cwd is found on deer/elk farms? Cause we test our animals. Dont kid yourself, it is everywhere not just inside a fence. It is in less than 1% of the population wild and captive and was caused by the gov't in 1967 I believe. Do a quick search, you should have no problem finding the origin of cwd. I bet you also believe the ar-15 is responsible for what happened in that school, you should cause that is what our gov't wants us to believe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.