Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate? >

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Old 12-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Spike

Default Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

There is nothing about fair chase in a enclosed area. Where does it stop ? It always comes back to the greed of money ! Almost all of your TV hunting shows are filmed in enclosed areas. Why do think that all the big bucks shot on film are not listed in the records? Its all about the MONEY and the lack of self respect. We need to relish the challenge as much if not more then the headgear. It amazes me at what people will do to get some attention. I have been hunting since I was 8 back in the 60's and I absolutly am not at all impressed with the High Fence Braggers ! When I see these TV hunting hosts at shows signing autographs, it makes me sick to my stomach. There are some high profile hunters out there that do it the right way and we need to recognize them, not the ones taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank. I have way to much respect for the animals, then to raise them in a high fence, take pictures of them for years and create names for them. We had names for our cows also, heck we even went as far as putting numbers on them, whoa theres a idea maybe thats next ! I do not care if thats what the little ego tripping boys want to do but don't stick your chest out in my face, I will embarass you in front of your girlfriends. I wonder sometimes, am I the minority on this debate?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

Until it becomes illegal people are going to do it. Even hunting a buffalo might be considered somewhat of a controlled hunt. They can't leave the property so is that controlled? So where to you draw the line of high fence, controlled, management hunt, or stacking the deck in your favor? Travel thousands of miles and pay a lot of money to hunt an exotic in Africa or go shoot one on a ten thousand acre ranch in Texas? Makes no difference to me because I probably won't do either one. I'm happy hunting National Forest good or bad. To each his own.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunting is fair chase...a hunter with his intellect and skills against an animal with better hearing, sight and smell along with a strong survival instinct. Shooting an animal behind a high fence is just agriculture also known as livestock harvest and not hunting.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No high fence for me

I don't spend that kind of money for hunting. I use to build fences and I know how expensive they are.

The smaller the area, the less fair chase is involved. And the bigger the area, the less many can really afford the "hunt."

So it's not a question of "ethics" to me, it turning over the green bills and the credit card that concerns me.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Typical Buck

Fenced/canned/guided hunts isn't for me,
But don't have a problem with others doing it.
Private land, animals they raised,
Doesn't take animals out of the wild, am fine with it.
On large acreage fence has little to do with it.
There are plenty of natural boundaries in the wild that would be more of an enclosure than a 10000 acre fenced ranch.
is hunting a pinch point or natural funnel unethical?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grizzly13

There is nothing about fair chase in a enclosed area. Where does it stop ? It always comes back to the greed of money !..... I wonder sometimes, am I the minority on this debate?
G13,

Interesting - Your 1st post from allegedly PA in the middle of the night?

And you’re wanting to start a passionate debate?
Old 12-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

It takes way more than just hunting fair chase to get my respect. I'm way past that, and you wouldn't like me if I gave you my list.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you are confusing some of those shows that have their own properties they hunt on like Lee and Tiffany Lakoski or Don and Kandi Kisky. Those are not high fence, but are in some highly productive farm country and with all the work they do along with numerous cameras to see what they have on the property is why they name some of the bucks. A canned hunt is on small acreage behind a high fence. If the acreage is large like many Texas ranches, it is as much to control the genetics and keep bad genes from getting into the property as it is to keep what is there inside the area. A big percentage of those places are so big you would never know they are high fenced. It just depends on what the animal is compared to the size of the property. 1000 acres with decent cover would probably present a good hunt for hogs if they aren't being artificially fed, whereas that acreage would be about 4 or 5 thousand acres too small for an ethical elk hunt.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Canned hunts are not for me, the problem I have with them is how many of these high fence, high priced brutes get snuck into the record books? When I shot my 17 point the taxidermist was looking for a hole in the ear, as he said some guys shoot fenced deer and push them off as fair chase, they claim the hole was from fighting or a .22 bullet. My ex uncle had a deer farm he said a wild buck got in there and got big, I doubt if that one even had a tag.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Grizzly13
There is nothing about fair chase in a enclosed area. Where does it stop ? It always comes back to the greed of money ! Almost all of your TV hunting shows are filmed in enclosed areas. Why do think that all the big bucks shot on film are not listed in the records? Its all about the MONEY and the lack of self respect. We need to relish the challenge as much if not more then the headgear. It amazes me at what people will do to get some attention. I have been hunting since I was 8 back in the 60's and I absolutly am not at all impressed with the High Fence Braggers ! When I see these TV hunting hosts at shows signing autographs, it makes me sick to my stomach. There are some high profile hunters out there that do it the right way and we need to recognize them, not the ones taking your money and laughing all the way to the bank. I have way to much respect for the animals, then to raise them in a high fence, take pictures of them for years and create names for them. We had names for our cows also, heck we even went as far as putting numbers on them, whoa theres a idea maybe thats next ! I do not care if thats what the little ego tripping boys want to do but don't stick your chest out in my face, I will embarass you in front of your girlfriends. I wonder sometimes, am I the minority on this debate?

Well, hot topic and I'm sure lots of opinions. Here's mine.
I'm a meat hunter as well as a trophy hunter. I don't waste any of the animal. I hunt mainly fair chase but I have hunted fenced. I don't see anything wrong with either one. If you've got the money and the time it's up to the individual. That's what freedom and the right to choose is all about. And since you've lumped everybody that does fenced hunts into one bag, I have a story for you.

Two years ago we took up a collection for a fellow here to go buffalo hunting in a fenced area. A rather large area too. It took four trucks and 6 to 8 hours of driving, behind the fence which you never saw, to find the buffalo for him to shoot. And I'm sure to this day he would stick out his chest and brag about the buffalo he shot. He doesn't have any girlfriends at the present time, for you to embarass him in front of. But he does have me behind him as well as several thousand more. You'll have to bend down in order for him to get his chest pushed out to you. You see, he doesn't have any legs and only his right arm. The rest of him is still in Afganistan.

And yeah you probably are in the minority. You should probably have another beer and think about your posts before you put them up. I've been a member here for 7 or 8 years and yours is probably the most ridiculous one I've ever seen. You have a good day sir.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.