Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate? >

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the fence doesn't matter, or make a difference, why spend big money to "hunt" there, take it down. Go for it if you want, water off my back. But some try to enter there harvest in the B&C books, thats my concern.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
If the fence doesn't matter, or make a difference, why spend big money to "hunt" there, take it down. Go for it if you want, water off my back. But some try to enter there harvest in the B&C books, thats my concern.
I beleive sci accepts trophys from high fenced hunts but boone and crocket doesnt
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's correct skinnnner! As far as the previous post by gjersey, the reason is because the large high fence places are designed for proper game management to keep bad genes and people out and allow the better animals to breed in the wild and get better. If done properly and in a big acreage place, you'll never know from the way the animals that are there act that they are enclosed. A 30,000 acre ranch like I used to hunt near in Texas will not be any different to hunt deer or elk in that one without any, other than hunter numbers and total game taken are controlled for quality.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not exactly true. You know exactly how many elk are there. If you get the elk between the fence and you. Where are they going to go?
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe? Don't know, never heard of them. A guy in town has a monster White-tail mounted in his office that he "hunted down", the guy doesn't hunt much it was his 2nd or 3rd buck, I was impressed and happy for him! Then later I found out his bragging, prowess buck was shot in a high fence operation, those kind of lies are what I don't like. He shot a manipulated, bred for antler size livestock. Again if the fence don't matter why pay extra to hunt there? I saw a huge Rhino at the zoo, I pretended to shoot it lol.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Come on now, how are you going to tell me how many of anything are in that kind of acreage whether it's open or high fenced, LOL! If you go out where you hunt elk in Colorado you aren't going to tell me or anyone else how many elk are in a 30,000 acre area and it's the same in a high fence area of the same terrain.

"Again if the fence don't matter why pay extra to hunt there?"

The answer has been given moe than once if you would comprehend what has been posted. A person doesn't have the number of hunters to contend with in a high fence operation compared to public land because the ranch owner controls hunter numbers. You are going to pay more for a quality hunt and it's the same way many states are doing now where you have to buy PPs and wait many years to hunt one time in a unit managed for quality and one of the ways to do that is limit hunter access.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2013 at 08:51 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Typical Buck

yea but 30,000 acres is 47 sq miles. Thats alot of land right there. And I for one do not want to make a bull feel trapped between me and a fence. lol but thats just me
Old 01-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Topgun does that Texas ranch import big, non native, northern bucks? I bet they do.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Topgun they control WAY more then the amount of hunters in those manipulated "hunts". Again High fence compared to public land fair chase is, comparing Apples to Oranges.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Come on now, how are you going to tell me how many of anything are in that kind of acreage whether it's open or high fenced, LOL! If you go out where you hunt elk in Colorado you aren't going to tell me or anyone else how many elk are in a 30,000 acre area and it's the same in a high fence area of the same terrain.
That's my point. I don't know. I might not have any. I would think anybody with one of those ranches that's charging big money knows what animals are there. How else would they have any control?

It's still not natural to me. The elk I hunt are free to run where they want. They can migrate, move from hunting pressure, and move to where the food is better. They can act as elk with no restrictions. It's up to us as hunters to figure out where they'll be.

btw I only hunt elk in Colorado. So, keep your examples here. What's the biggest fenced hunt here? How many elk does it hold?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.