Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Fair Chase vs High Fence Hunting Debate?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Yea but 30,000 acres is 47 sq miles. Thats alot of land right there. And I for one do not want to make a bull feel trapped between me and a fence. lol but thats just me"

***Come on now! You can't honestly tell me you think you can make a bull feel trapped on 30,000 acres even if it was wide open desert with not a single tree on it can you, LOL?! I'd like to see you, as one individual, make any animal feel trapped on that kind of acreage! Maybe if you had a posse of 100 to make a drive! Other than that, no way, no how!!! I have no idea about Colorado just like you evidently have no knowledge of Texas, but that's beside the point. Big acreage like we're talking about can be in anywhere. Sure those ranchers know there are good deer within their boundary, but they are not guaranteeing anyone anything other than a chance at one, whereas the "game Farm" basically are a guaranteed hunt.

"Topgun does that Texas ranch import big, non native, northern bucks? I bet they do. Hey Topgun they control WAY more then the amount of hunters in those manipulated "hunts". Again High fence compared to public land fair chase is, comparing Apples to Oranges."

***You would lose that bet because all they do is take advantage of the nutritional protein that's in a lot of the vegetation down there, as well as the great genetics down there that don't require anything as you're describing as far as bringing in ANY animals. In fact, you just madean earlier post saying you don't even know anything about those places and now you're making a bet like you're on expert on them! Your other post about manipulation is also incorrect because the only thing they manipulate is hunter numbers and amount of game taken on the acreage. Your last sentence comparing apples to oranges would be true if we are talking about very small "game farms" where they breed and/or buy and sell animals to be slaughtered under a close to 100% kill and most of those only charge you when you make a kill. Then the money you pay many times is by the pound, inch of antler, etc. It is not that way on those big ranches. Sure they know there are big animals there and it's through a regular game census just like the game departments make on public land (many are done by helicopter), but you pay to play and not just if you kill an animal like those game farms operate. Please remember that I do not hunt them, but wouldn't have any problem with those huge ones if I wanted to pay the money to have a better chance on a big animal just because of what I've stated several times. I'm just a plain old DIY guy on public land like you two guys are!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Topgun does that Texas ranch import big, non native, northern bucks? I bet they do.
It's actually illegal to import deer into Texas.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's correct superstrutter and with an estimated herd of 4 million animals I don't think they need to import any more!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL they import many, u think there going tell you? Drugs are illegal in Texas to!
Old 01-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

From what i understand the animals inside a fence are property of the owner unlike wild animals that are property of the government so they may manipulate it as they wish for the benifit of hunters same as the habitat inside the fence.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

You mean like zoo animals?
Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

You guys are just making ridiculous, illiterate statements now just to be making posts! Neither of you know anything about Texas and gjersey outright admitted it and then comes back with absolutely BS statements that are false. Now skinnnner comes on again making more statements that are incorrect because the game inside those fences ARE NOT considered to be owned by the property owner and that's why anyone hunting on them has to have a state issued license and the seasons are the same as public land hunts and are designated by the state. The land owner also has to have a license in Texas, regardless of whether it's a high or low fence if he is charging people to hunt the property. The license fee varies depending on the acreage. They also have to keep accurate books of every animal taken on the property and those books are turned into the state after the hunting seasons are over. I am NOT talking about the high fence places that raise their own animals including many exotics like the YO up in the Hill country. Those could probably be considered more like the canned hunts, but the properties are much bigger. There is a big difference in those and what I'm talking about! Now would any of you like to make any more statements about stuff you know nothing about?

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-01-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't know this thread was about Texas? I talk about fenced hunts as I know about them in Colorado.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have specifically stated for about the last 3 or 4 pages that the comments I'm making are in regards to Texas and you have stated previously that you know Colorado, which I acknowledged I know nothing about. My problem is with these other two yoyos that keep making statements about stuff that is completely wrong and just appear to be posts designed to be arguing for arguments sake. When animals are actually bought and sold and raised in captivity in the high fence ranches like they do with many of the exotics, then skinnnner is correct, but not with the places I'm talking about down there. I've hunted down in the Hill and Brush country of Texas since the early 70s and I guarantee anything I post is fact and not just BS to be increasing my post count!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Do a google search: "Importing deer" tons of info, yes it may be illegal, just like drugs are. They also artificially inseminate fenced deer from non native, manipulated bucks, less expensive. High fence and fair chase are not the same, again no prob if you choose to pay the money to harvest them, but don't hide what goes on behind that purpose built fence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.