Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do I Claim My Trophy?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
Spike

To address the foolish points first:

The bear was not killed after season, not sure where you get this. When I said last day, I meant my last day. And my uncle had a tag and used his tag to tag it legally. I would say the chance that the bear was shot by someone else would be slim to none as we were the only onces hunting in a 10 mile area.

To address the fair points:

I obvioulsy didn't know the specifics of the "hit" (glancing off the shoulder) until my uncle told me after the recovery. But I could tell by the reaction of the bear, the lack of a blood trail, and the "guts" hanging out that I likely issued a poor shot. In order to have the best chance of recovering the animal, you back out and give it time to die. I can't even believe I have to explain that reasoning on a hunting forum.

As far as the animal suffering, yep, that really REALLY does suck. But unfortunately, you just can't get out of your tree stand and start trying to run down a bear in 100000 acres of forest. I wish I could, but that doesn't work.

I searched for the bear for as long as I could. My uncle took up the tracking when I left.

As far as doing taxidermy when the hunt didn't go as planned. That is a very fair point and that is why I posted. But to counter act that point, I don't have to tell the whole story to those that can't stomach it and a reason to put the bear on display would be so that the bear didn't go to waste. Tossing the bear would be no way to honor that animal.

Yeah, it didn't go as planned. Yeah it sucked it had to suffer. I am disappointed I made a bad shot. But all of the "I am going to kick your ass" and you "should have ran after the bear" and the other crap is pretty stupid.

Congrats for running another potential member off your site.

To those who gave it some thought and posted a reasonable response (good or bad), thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by ducksandbucks; 10-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just remember that those coming down on you are perfect, so they can look down their nose at you. Most of us here identify with a fellow hunter that had a bad outcome and sounds like you are like me, you feel plenty bad about it without anyone else coming down on you.

In your place, I would let my uncle have to bear. I just couldn't feel good when I looked at it on my wall. The biggest whitetail I have ever killed (a 20" 10 point) I blew the shot on and found it two days later after the coyotes had eaten the buck. Those antlers are nowhere on my wall.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

To address your points
You said last day
Backing out and heading home are not the same. Cant believe I have to explain that.
Its a hunting forum...you post stupid acts, you wil probably hear about it
Be glad I am not your uncle
What gun, how far, what bullet
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by skb2706
To address your points
You said last day
Backing out and heading home are not the same. Cant believe I have to explain that.
Its a hunting forum...you post stupid acts, you wil probably hear about it
Be glad I am not your uncle
What gun, how far, what bullet
I was hunting 1000 miles from my home. I guess I should quit my job and tell my son that I will see him at some point??? Yep, sucks I had to go home, but didn't really have any options. Fortunately I didn't have to just give up and my uncle continued the search for me. We do that for each other.

I did say last day. You could clarify what I meant by last day before you jump me on it.

If you want to point out the stupid acts I did, please do so.

I will let you keep up the threats. I am guessing if you aren't a complete idiot, you will realize you make zero sense.

Muzzleloader, 50 Cal., Standing Still, Quartering to shot (I will help you out, this was the one stupid thing I did, caught up in the moment).

And in case you wonder why I even bother to respond to your ridiculous comments, its because I am man enough to explain what I did, take ownership for what I messed up, and clarify the points that might be a little fuzzy. Maybe somebody can give me something to think about moving forward, maybe I can learn from this experience, etc.

I could give 2 craps about you and your views. Just read the back and forth and tell me who needs the butt whooping.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

This pretty much explains who's bear it is. Which was you original question.

"my uncle had a tag and used his tag to tag it legally"

I might also add that your uncle tracks better. I really see no reason why you think the bear is yours? All you did was make a bad shot. Let it go, and learn from it.

No reason to leave the forum. You asked for our opinions, and that's what you got. I won't butter someone up, because they're new to the forum. I just give my honest opinion. Hopefully, that's what you wanted?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

I have no desire to run off a new member, new members bring new insights and stories and that's what this site is about. So, I'll patiently explain myself.
When you said last day, I thought it meant last day of the season. It's the internet and we're reading a text. Not sitting around the camp having a conversation. So please, always try and be clear on everything. If you're clear on what you post no one will need to ask you questions about it, they'll just be able to address the important things.

About the shot. you already realize that quartering to you was not the best, but as hunters we sometimes have to take what is offered. Under the right conditions I wouldn't hesitate to take that shot either.

Also, when I said it could have been someones else's bear... You said other hunters told your uncle it was in the river. That is reason to believe that it could potentially be another hunters bear.
I'm glad the bear was recovered. That's the important thing. I personally would still not call it my bear. But if you want to claim it, then certainly do it. And get back out there when you can and hunt some more. That's what we're here for!
-Jake
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
This pretty much explains who's bear it is. Which was you original question.

"my uncle had a tag and used his tag to tag it legally"

I might also add that your uncle tracks better. I really see no reason why you think the bear is yours? All you did was make a bad shot. Let it go, and learn from it.

No reason to leave the forum. You asked for our opinions, and that's what you got. I won't butter someone up, because they're new to the forum. I just give my honest opinion. Hopefully, that's what you wanted?
Hey man, I did ask for your opinion and appreciate a well thought out a response. I don't want to debate your opinion. But you did ask the wuestion of why I might consider it mine when all I did was make a bad shot. Actually, I ran 4 bait stations for a week, I sat in a tree stand for 40 hours, I sat scent free and still in the stand for a bear to come within 50 yards, I shot the bear and I spent 10 hours trying to recover the bear. So I would say I did more than just popping off a shot at a bear.

Another point of clarity, it was grouse hunters who pointed out the bear in the river. Sorry for the confussion.

I really am not trying to argue for me, I am on the fence which is why I asked in the first place. Just trying to provide facts and head of the personal attacks.

1 more point since you guys have me playing defense. This was a do it yourself hunt on public land, not me droppinng 3k and having a guide put a bear in front of me. So I do take some offense to those saying I did nothing.

Last edited by ducksandbucks; 10-03-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I won't get into how you hunted, because you don't know me, or my feelings on certain styles of hunting.

I gave my opinion, and of course you're free to do as you please. If you think it's your bear. Then keep it.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:51 AM
Typical Buck

hey you have to learn to weed out the "professionals" here and listen to the good points. Good or bad. A bad thing happened in a good situation. next time it will go better for you we hope.

As far as who should claim the bear that is 6 of one half dozen of the other. No right or wrong I guess. Good thing is that your uncle was there to put it down so it didn't go to waste. If there is a hunting camp there mabey offer to help with taxidermy fees and donate it to the camp. Let everyone enjoy it.

And oh yea, running baits all week, thats good, sitting in a stand for 40 hours scent free, thats great, a good shot that went bad, well that sucks.

Saying you are going to kick some guys ass on the computer, well that it STUPID
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

In this situation, I would not claim the "trophy".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.