Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do I Claim My Trophy?

Old 10-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

I don't believe in the last shot takes the game. But in this case I'd have to say without the uncle there would of been no bear recovery. Now that said his nephew wounded the bear he knew where about to go look for a wounded bear. That's almost better than a bait station. He either runs into a wounded bear or finds it dead by other means. But all in all most family would say I found the bear you shot and finished it off. If I was the uncle it would be the kids bear regardless.

Here's the one thing I don't get. How do you get from the shoulder to the guts without A. the bullet riding down the rib cage then miraculously turning into the guts and causing enough trauma to make the bear sick or B. hitting the shoulder traveling down inside the chest somehow missing lungs through the diaphragm and into the lungs. Just don't add up.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never saved an animal as a trophy. Let alone one I didn't kill.

It's keeping the so called trophy that got to us. I don't fault him for missing the shot. It's the rest of it.
The guy traveled 1000 miles and shot his first bear. I say he gets it mounted. The uncle can skin it and cut it and the meat can be consumed if it's good. What would you do with the hide?

What's wrong with getting it mounted? There was a lot to the hunt that led up to even seeing the animal. A lot of work was put in. He shot the bear, spent two days tracking it and had to go home. A very sad ending. Then, he gets a phone call that the bear has been recovered.

I'd say there's quite a story there. Not the perfect plot, but I would not be ashamed of it.

Everybody makes a bad shot from time to time. Especially with a bear. They have a smaller sweet spot to hit and, if the bear is quartering-to, it's easy to have a shot go astray. Does he need more range time? I wouldn't base that on this. If it's never happened to you, you haven't hunted long enough.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you get from the shoulder to the guts without A. the bullet riding down the rib cage then miraculously turning into the guts and causing enough trauma to make the bear sick or B. hitting the shoulder traveling down inside the chest somehow missing lungs through the diaphragm and into the lungs. Just don't add up.
Steep quartering-to angle. I've heard this is common with bears. That's why an outfitter we hunted with said to wait until the bear was quatering-away. Too many gut shot bears.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Barnes........Not really true. I've hunted since 1950. Always took lung shots.

You just need some self control, and don't shoot at anything presented to you. It's how I was taught.

Sometimes you shouldn't post something on a forum. This hunt was one of those. My opinion.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Spike

Yep I guess I can't stay away from the insults. Muley - just get lost. Finnbear - only so much of a couple idiots one can take. You were not grouped in that, but I don't agree w you either. My uncle busted his hump looking for the bear. The bear was located in the river that he had checked sevferal times. Hurt animals go to water, this bear was just tough as nails and it took him a while to get there. I have no issue with getting lucky and having someone point out where they saw the bear. Btw, you just can't run dowwn a live bear in 100000 acres of forest. Blackelk - can't explain the magic bullet theory, I wasn't there to recover the bear which evidently means I should never hunt again. All indications from the stand where that I hit him in the guts. Only going on what I was told. Barnes - thanks for at least trying to inject some facts and common sense into this thread.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

I knew you'd be back. You love the attention.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I knew you'd be back. You love the attention.
nope, actually I just won't let myself get pushed around by some arrogant ass like you.

you mentioned that posts like these should never be posted on this forum. I'm sorry, but hunting isn't all about roses and rainbows. Sometimes crap like this happens and it doesn't hurt to discuss. i know i have learned alot, even by taking some of your abuse.

i have a question for you muley...you have questioned my woodsmenship, how i hunt, my ability to track, my marksmenship, etc., etc.

how do you hunt? do you do anything that doesn't involve hiding behind your high power and shooting at 400 yards. just curious? if i am going to continue to listen to your crap, i would like some background?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I still hunt timber with a muzzleloader. The only method of hunting i've ever done. Before the muzzleloader. I used a Winchester 94 30-30 with iron sights for mule deer and elk. I got the gun for Christmas when I was 10 years old, and shot a buck with it at 50 yds the same year.
i don't spot and stalk, use stands, bait, or take long shots. Nothing wrong with any of that. It's just not my style. I do nothing but hunt alone since my dad died in the 80's.

I'm not arrogant in the least. I gave you my honest opinion, and you didn't like it. So, you started to throw insults. It says a lot about you.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
I still hunt timber with a muzzleloader. The only method of hunting i've ever done. Before the muzzleloader. I used a Winchester 94 30-30 with iron sights for mule deer and elk. I got the gun for Christmas when I was 10 years old, and shot a buck with it at 50 yds the same year.
i don't spot and stalk, use stands, bait, or take long shots. Nothing wrong with any of that. It's just not my style. I do nothing but hunt alone since my dad died in the 80's.

I'm not arrogant in the least. I gave you my honest opinion, and you didn't like it. So, you started to throw insults. It says a lot about you.
no, i actually think you are an arrogant ass. thats my honest opinion. similar to you saying i can't shoot, track, or don't know what the hell i am doing. if you don't call those insults off of ZERO facts, you just refuse to listen. you are judging me based on my lowest of lows.

i am sorry to hear about your dad. i was with my dad on this hunt (he was grouse hunting, but was there to drop me off and pick me up) and that is one of the worst parts is that i probably won't have many left with him.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by ducksandbucks
no, i actually think you are an arrogant ass. thats my honest opinion. similar to you saying i can't shoot, track, or don't know what the hell i am doing. if you don't call those insults off of ZERO facts, you just refuse to listen. you are judging me based on my lowest of lows.

i am sorry to hear about your dad. i was with my dad on this hunt (he was grouse hunting, but was there to drop me off and pick me up) and that is one of the worst parts is that i probably won't have many left with him.
You're judging me without ever meeting me.

I didn't say you can't shoot. I said maybe some range work will help. You did make a bad shot. (your words)

Never said you don't know what you were doing.

I didn't say you can't track. I said your uncle was better. He's probably been doing it longer.

No, I don't call them insults.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.