Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Do I Claim My Trophy?

Old 10-03-2012, 08:56 AM
Spike

Default Do I Claim My Trophy?

Last week I shot a nice Black Bear out of state (I live in IA, bear shot in MN). The bear was shot on the last day. Unfortunately, the shot deflected off the front shoulder and into the guts. Knowing I likely I had issued a poor shot, I backed out and we went back in the morning where the bear was bumped and not recovered. No blood, no hair. We had to leave to come home.

2 days later, my uncle and bear guide who lives where we hunted talked to some other hunters and was told a bear was in the river. When my uncle got there, the bear was still alive, but not able to move. My uncle issued the fatal shot and put the bear out of its misery.

The Dilemma: this was the first black bear I have evern seen or shot it. I am really struggling claiming this as my first black bear though. Out of the following choices, let me know how you think I should view the outcome.

A.) I harvested my first black bear. Enjoy it, get some taxidermy done to remeber the moment.
B.) You were involved in the kill, but shouldn't claim this as your first bear. Tan the hide, get the skull and offer either or both to my uncle.
C.) It isn't my bear. I didn't issue the fatal shot. Thank your uncle for the hunt and hopefully I get another chance.

THOUGHTS?

Last edited by ducksandbucks; 10-03-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think of it this way. If you grab it, get the taxidermy work, what will your memory be when you look at it? If it's a good, happy memory, then great. If it's not, then don't do it
Old 10-03-2012, 12:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

You shot/wounded it!

Unless your uncle REALLY WANTS IT, I would say that is YOUR BEAR!

Either way 1 of you 2 better claim it.

Hunting doesn't always go as planned, but I would want my 1st bear.

hope this helps.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

I have never understood this stop and come back another day stuff!!! This bear suffered for 2-3 days because you did not follow up on your poor shot....ask yourself how you would have felt if the bear, in it's wounded statre had harmed a person?? I know the ods of that are high but it could happen!!!
You hit a animal you stay onit till it's dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with finnbear. I'd also like to know how you knew you made a poor shot if your hit the bear in the shoulder? You didn't know at the time what the bullet did.

All I see is you wounded a bear, and left it to suffer.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

D. if Im your uncle I want to kick your ass. You have nothing to claim. Its his and if he doesn't have a license for said beast its not even his.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

He backed out to give the bear time and came back the next morning to look. That's what everyone does when they don't want to push the animal.

After that day, he had to go home. He was out-of-state.

Since he had an uncle who lived in that state, he had him continue to follow up on the bear and he found it and shot it.

What's the problem?

You shot your first bear. You didn't make a perfect shot. It happens. You had family help you recover the bear because you had to go back home. But you did come back the next day and track it.

I don't get it. Do you guys dive right in a push a wounded bear? If it's capable of attacking someone, you're certainly not going to catch it.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to say it but I agree with the other guys. Thats wouldnt be the best story when the stuffed bear is sitting in your living room. "Hey buddy, great bear, when did you kill it?"

"Actually I just wounded it and let it suffer for two days until my uncle finished it off, but it makes a great conversation piece!"
Old 10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
He backed out to give the bear time and came back the next morning to look. That's what everyone does when they don't want to push the animal.

After that day, he had to go home. He was out-of-state.

Since he had an uncle who lived in that state, he had him continue to follow up on the bear and he found it and shot it.

What's the problem?

You shot your first bear. You didn't make a perfect shot. It happens. You had family help you recover the bear because you had to go back home. But you did come back the next day and track it.

I don't get it. Do you guys dive right in a push a wounded bear? If it's capable of attacking someone, you're certainly not going to catch it.
This is the part that bothers me. How did he know this?

" Unfortunately, the shot deflected off the front shoulder and into the guts. Knowing I likely I had issued a poor shot."
Old 10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Don't jump all over a new person, we need new people in the forum. To me, that is your uncles bear. If I gut shoot a deer while on a drive and it runs down the line and a cousin shoots and drops it, it's his deer. Your uncle killed it, so I'd say it's his bear. To do it legally(Because it was technically killed after season ended), you probably need to call the game warden and explain the situation. ALSO, how do you know it is your bear, it could have been anyone's bear in the river. Just a thought.
-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.