Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Really on the fence .270 or .300 for Elk >

Really on the fence .270 or .300 for Elk

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Really on the fence .270 or .300 for Elk

Old 01-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Really on the fence .270 or .300 for Elk

dont matter which, put it in the boiler room and it elk steaks after that
Old 01-17-2009, 08:54 AM

If elk is the biggest animal you are going to hunt the 270 WSM would be perfect if you like Mag rounds......bigger than elk the 300 WSM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 300 since I bought it specifically to hunt elk. The locals I hunted with used 270s and 7mm's.

It's all about range. Hunting within 350 yards or so? That 270 will work just fine. Planning to practice to shoot further? Think 7mm or 300.

Don't plan on the elk necessarily dropping as quickly with a 270....but place the shot like it's your job to do and they will fall.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

If elk is the biggest animal you are going to hunt the 270 WSM would be perfect if you like Mag rounds......bigger than elk the 300 WSM.
Having hunted both moose and elk extensively,I find moose much easier to kill.They may be larger,but they rarely go far once hit properly.On the other hand,I have seen many elk run a considerable distance after being properly lung shot.Any cartridge that I would use for elk,I wouldn't hesitate to use on moose.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shooter1966:

Get you a .300 Mag. Barrel for your Encore. and keep the .270 Win. barrel also. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: finnbear

Oh Mr. lucky dog U raise yer head again to sling insults...is that all U are capable of? please tell me what U said that was any differant from what I said?!? I said Use his .270, U said use his .270....but u also saw fit to personaly insult me!!!
I see U shoot the .300RUM....................small penis???????
You got to wonder about a guy that is worrying about the size of another man's penis! LMFAO
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh Mr. lucky dog U raise yer head again to sling insults...is that all U are capable of? please tell me what U said that was any differant from what I said?!? I said Use his .270, U said use his .270....but u also saw fit to personaly insult me!!!
I see U shoot the .300RUM....................small penis???????
Yeah, I'll tell you what I said that was different....I gave him my opinion without insuting peoples shooting skills. I know a lot of guys that shoot magnums. They are all pretty darn good shots. Everyone of them!

Are you gonna ask me how big my nards are next? LMFAO

I'm cracking myself up here!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Who did I insult and how??? did I make an untrue statement ???? it was U that had to come out and insulted me!!! or did I touch a nerve with U???? I'm glad U crack someone up !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:48 PM
Spike

Here it is again!!!! LOL!!!!!!! Folks seem to think U need a magnum for elk....what a crock!!!!!!! shooter1966, the .270 has killed 10's of thoushands of elk and quite handily at that!!! folks on here keep up with the words bullet placement and range!!! well I would hope that, that would go with out saying!!LOL!!!! BUT I know that there are some out there that DO rely on the extra little ummpf that they get from the magnum,s to make up for their short comings as shooters!!! bigger is not allways better!!! keep U're .270 and go kill an elk!!!!!
yes, this statement is insulting to those of us who choose to shoot a bigger gun at elk. Just give your opinion and leave it at that, instead of insinuating that "some" of us are making up for our shortcomings as shootersand lack of body part size. Statements like this do lend themselves for some to make comebacks. I make it a policy that no matter what, I won't lower myself to the level of insulting anyone. You seem to think it is OK to insult someone who you feel has insulted you. When you get down on the floor, you will get dirty.

I have said my piece about this subject, but I will make one more comment. I own a 222, a 243, a 270, a 30-06, a 7mm mag, and a 338 win mag. Not to mention the 3 muzzleloaders I own. THERE IS NO PERFECT, DO IT ALL GUN! That is why they make so many different ones!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here it is again!!!! LOL!!!!!!! Folks seem to think U need a magnum for elk....what a crock!!!!!!! shooter1966, the .270 has killed 10's of thoushands of elk and quite handily at that!!! folks on here keep up with the words bullet placement and range!!! well I would hope that, that would go with out saying!!LOL!!!! BUT I know that there are some out there that DO rely on the extra little ummpf that they get from the magnum,s to make up for their short comings as shooters!!! bigger is not allways better!!! keep U're .270 and go kill an elk!!!!!
If you cannot find your insult to magnum shooters here then you are not very smart. If your a kid then I apologize for busting your chops so hard. If your an adult then take it for what it is!

Quick Reply: Really on the fence .270 or .300 for Elk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.